[4]

Motorcycle Parts

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Doing this custom build on a old Goldwing 1975. Putting a 2006 Hayabusa inverted forks on, with brakes and wheel. Putting a 2008 Goldwing single-sided swingarm on.

The forks are alittle shorter than stock so made some fork extensions. The swingarm casting from the GW is too large to mount to the 75 frame so are going to just use the GL1800 differential and make a tubular swingarm from DOM. Will need to make differential mounting plate and swingarm pivot.

Picture of the extensions and starting swingare machining.

Swingarm Mockup 071.jpg Fork Extensions 025.jpg Fork Extensions 023.jpg Swingarm Mockup 075.jpg

davidh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
quite a project. keep the pictures coming. . .

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Thanks, will do.

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Been awhile. Got the blocks machined for swingarm differential mount and sa pivot.

Rough formed the DOM tubing for swingarm structure.

Swingarm Fabrication 060.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 038.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 097.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 080.jpg

B

British Steel

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi, +1 on the Interesting Thread!

Interesting way to do the fork extension - here in the UK a lot of my fellow VMaxers / streetfighter builders are using extensions threading into the top of the fork with extension pieces inside to carry the preload / damping adjusters up to the original fork cap - your way looks a lot less complicated!

That single-sided arm's *sexy* with those sinuous curves - is it going to be boxed in for stiffness or left open like that? I'm always a bit concerned by curves in structural elements, as they can deform under load (hell, on a VMax with upwards of 150HP, straight-tube swingarms deform when the rider gets enthusiastic!) - hence my hatred of the "OC Chopper" style, which I won't dignify with the word "design"!

Dave H. (the other one)

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Hi, +1 on the Interesting Thread!

Interesting way to do the fork extension - here in the UK a lot of my fellow VMaxers / streetfighter builders are using extensions threading into the top of the fork with extension pieces inside to carry the preload / damping adjusters up to the original fork cap - your way looks a lot less complicated!

That single-sided arm's *sexy* with those sinuous curves - is it going to be boxed in for stiffness or left open like that? I'm always a bit concerned by curves in structural elements, as they can deform under load (hell, on a VMax with upwards of 150HP, straight-tube swingarms deform when the rider gets enthusiastic!) - hence my hatred of the "OC Chopper" style, which I won't dignify with the word "design"!

Dave H. (the other one)
Overdue update. Got the swingarm pieces put together and welded. Put her on the wheels and has a pretty good stance. Thought it would be higher ground clearance than is. Will adjust height after more weight is added with parts.

Swingarm Fabrication 168.jpg Stance 009.jpg Swingarm Weldup 017.jpg

woodtickgreg

Active User
Very cool! I'll be watching with great interest. Keep the pics a coming.

corey607

Swarf
Registered
Looks very cool. Can't wait to see the finished bike.

woodtickgreg

Active User
That is just an insanely cool swing arm, I for one would really like to see an update on this project.

road

Active User
Registered
more pleaasee !

bubby-joe

Swarf
Registered
The extensions bring back very bad memories, an early bike I had had screw on slugs to extend the tubes most god awful things devised by man mine came loose at speed on the freeway. There is only one way out of a high speed wobble and thats to lift the front wheel not an easy feat on early iron. Then I had one tube come right out of the triple tree landing was very bad, messed up for months. Should have been tightened and then welded properly and then re machined. A good plan would be to check them weekly like and if found loose at all PREY and redo. It is a very well done build you could help me anytime.

PS I still prefer my 33 year old BMW R-65 (red headed step child of BMW's) to the car any day. Riding since 1965 one loss of time incident 3+months still feel it today.

bonny

Swarf
Registered
PS I still prefer my 33 year old BMW R-65 (red headed step child of BMW's) to the car any day. Riding since 1965 one loss of time incident 3+months still feel it today.
I nearly bought a r45 , the 450cc version for a cheap commuter bike. it sold before i got the cash together. Sometimes think i dodged a bullet with that one.

mackey

Swarf
Registered
the fork extensions i'd have gone a different route but for a goldwing it should okay.

nice WIP
here in the UK a lot of my fellow VMaxers / streetfighter builders are using extensions threading into the top of the fork with extension pieces inside to carry the preload / damping adjusters up to the original fork cap - your way looks a lot less complicated!
yeah there are reasons for that.

it's prevalent in the racing community to add extensions in this manner, IIRC the 06-07 R6s were particularly twitchy and needed to be raised up further than what the stock length could provide.

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Sorry for not responding lately. In the middle of moving/downsizing. Got the house stuff pretty much done. Getting house ready to list. Haven't tackled the shop yet. Moving to a 20x20 garage going to setup lathe, mill and lathe to get something built this winter. Going to build a new shop next spring I hope.

Couple of picks:
The suspension is pretty much done. On to the other interesting phase. SUPERCHARGE!!!!

Swingarm Reassemble 012.jpg Supercharger Parts 012.jpg Supercharger Parts 028.jpg Supercharger Parts 034.jpg

woodtickgreg

Active User
Thanks for the update! Can a swing arm be sexy? I think so, very curvy. A supercharged gold wing.......whoda thunk. Very cool stuff for sure.:thumbsup:

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Holy crap! A supercharged bike???!! Man that looks badddd

Bernie

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
See ngwclub.com for other blown goldwings.

6-8" in length? Wanted to make it as short as possible and wheelbase is still 3" over stock. Wanted to keep it close to stock for closer to stock handling.

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Been a long time. Am going to get going on the Goldwing build again. Working on getting the blower manifold designed and built. Have a machining made to fit the bottom of the SC where a air box will be fabricated to plumb the tubing to the engine intake ports. Have made the intake elbows and next is making up the pieces for the airbox out of 16 ga. aluminum sheet. Where tubing nipples will be welded and attaching silicone hoses to nipples also welded to the intake elbows.

P1080542 (1).JPG P1080564.JPG P1080559.JPG P1080493.JPG P1080484.JPG

woodtickgreg

Active User
Been awhile since I saw this, then I remembered that crazy cool swing arm. And now a blower? Very cool indeed, I'm still watching........:thumbsup2:

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
Wow! Very cool project. Will be watching!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FOMOGO

Active User
I think that swing arm will be plenty stout. Very nice build. I always liked the look of that engine, and thought it would be fun to hotrod something that normally doesn't get much attention. Good luck with the move and new shop. I know how all that can cut down on the project time. Mike

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Thanks for the response. really going to try to be more dilligent in posting. I have a build thread at Naked Goldwings forum from the beginning. I have the Honda Super Blackbird that got last summer, done a few bolt-on changes but not doing much, it's my road bike. The Goldwing will be the "HOT ROD" I hope.

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Awesome looking build. Very impressive.

Gwil

Swarf
Registered
This is a great build. Dave Degens in the UK built a special framed endurance racing Goldwing in the late 70s. It looked fantastic and tested well, sidelined only by big end problems at sustained high revs. It's a motor deserving liberation from the porky standard touring setup.

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Been a year since I posted, whew what have I been doing? I don't know.

IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0128.JPG Started again on the Goldwing. Have the mounts made for the blower and rigged up the drive belts and idler. Think it is going to work. Next phase is the adapter to mount the Weber to the SC.

woodtickgreg

Active User
This could be the coolest gold wing I have ever seen, a blown wing!

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
I have seen others: NGWClub forum also Randakk's at that site also. All I have seen have appeared to be pretty much stock looking. Mine is quite past point of no return to stock, lol

[6]
[5] [7]