Motorcycle Parts

bonneblktrk

Active User
Registered
Doing this custom build on a old Goldwing 1975. Putting a 2006 Hayabusa inverted forks on, with brakes and wheel. Putting a 2008 Goldwing single-sided swingarm on.

The forks are alittle shorter than stock so made some fork extensions. The swingarm casting from the GW is too large to mount to the 75 frame so are going to just use the GL1800 differential and make a tubular swingarm from DOM. Will need to make differential mounting plate and swingarm pivot.

Picture of the extensions and starting swingare machining.

Swingarm Mockup 071.jpg Fork Extensions 025.jpg Fork Extensions 023.jpg Swingarm Mockup 075.jpg

quite a project. keep the pictures coming. . .

Been awhile. Got the blocks machined for swingarm differential mount and sa pivot.

Rough formed the DOM tubing for swingarm structure.

Swingarm Fabrication 060.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 038.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 097.jpg Swingarm Fabrication 080.jpg

Hi, +1 on the Interesting Thread!

Interesting way to do the fork extension - here in the UK a lot of my fellow VMaxers / streetfighter builders are using extensions threading into the top of the fork with extension pieces inside to carry the preload / damping adjusters up to the original fork cap - your way looks a lot less complicated!

That single-sided arm's *sexy* with those sinuous curves - is it going to be boxed in for stiffness or left open like that? I'm always a bit concerned by curves in structural elements, as they can deform under load (hell, on a VMax with upwards of 150HP, straight-tube swingarms deform when the rider gets enthusiastic!) - hence my hatred of the "OC Chopper" style, which I won't dignify with the word "design"!

Dave H. (the other one)

Hi, +1 on the Interesting Thread!

Interesting way to do the fork extension - here in the UK a lot of my fellow VMaxers / streetfighter builders are using extensions threading into the top of the fork with extension pieces inside to carry the preload / damping adjusters up to the original fork cap - your way looks a lot less complicated!

That single-sided arm's *sexy* with those sinuous curves - is it going to be boxed in for stiffness or left open like that? I'm always a bit concerned by curves in structural elements, as they can deform under load (hell, on a VMax with upwards of 150HP, straight-tube swingarms deform when the rider gets enthusiastic!) - hence my hatred of the "OC Chopper" style, which I won't dignify with the word "design"!

Dave H. (the other one)

Overdue update. Got the swingarm pieces put together and welded. Put her on the wheels and has a pretty good stance. Thought it would be higher ground clearance than is. Will adjust height after more weight is added with parts.

Swingarm Fabrication 168.jpg Stance 009.jpg Swingarm Weldup 017.jpg

Very cool! I'll be watching with great interest. Keep the pics a coming.

That is just an insanely cool swing arm, I for one would really like to see an update on this project.

Back