Motorizing a hand-crank leather patcher sewing machine

polyfractal

Registered
Registered
Hey folks :) I do some leather work as another hobby, but don't have an industrial sewing machine (just a little cheapo introductory model). So I mainly hand-stitch, or pray the little sewing machine can get through the leather without binding.

I recently picked up a "Leather Patcher" machine, also sometimes called cobbler's machines. Often just referred to as "chinese patcher" online. These are super cheap and crude manual, hand-crank sewing machines designed to patch boots, bags, etc. They are knockoffs of old Singer 29k models, and designed to be used by street vendors. I picked one up and am tuning up the fit and finish (it's a really rough casting, covered in cosmoline, needs deburring/greasing/lapping/etc).

But as a fun practice project, I decided to add a motor to the machine so that it could be operated by foot pedal instead of hand crank. I don't have a lathe (yet!), so had to mill out a custom v-belt pulley on a rotary table, which mostly worked but isn't something I'd want to do again :)

The vbelt is attached to a small pulley adapter that's bolted onto a "hoverboard" hub motor. These are cheap ($30 new, $15 used) brushless motors that have crazy high torque relative to their price (7-12Nm). They are designed to direct-drive humans around at low RPM, so they are perfect for something like driving a slow speed leather machine.

All in all, the project was fun and a good practice project. Learned a lot along the way, and everything even mostly works :) Some issues like terrible runout on the motor pulley, but all unimportant given the application, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

Towards the end of the video there's a minute of it "dry sewing" a scrap piece of leather (near 5:24). That piece was oil tanned, maybe 3-4oz? Not super heavy by any means.

I'll wind up a bobbin and try out various thickness/multiple pieces today if I get a chance, will report back!

As requested!

Some examples sewing through two and four layers of oil-tanned leather (4 layers was about 7.5mm). The leather isn't super tough, but not overly supple either. I unfortunately didn't think to grab some stiff tooling leather at the time, but I don't think it would have an issue getting through that either.

Back