Motors for Central Machine 5980

JohnJohn301

Active User
Registered
Recently came into a Central Machine 3 in 1 model T5980 for next to nothing. Wasn't really interested in the machine when I saw it, but wanted the tooling. Ended up with both for $100 and a bottle of Crown Royal.

Like a few others on this site, I'm patiently waiting for a Grizzly G0759 mill to come in sometime in October. So while I'm waiting I've been cleaning the 5980 and have taken an interest in it now.

The motor for the mill is smoked and the motor for the lathe sputters a couple of times before it will spin up - then it seems to run fine.

I'm considering replacing the motors and am wondering if anyone has done the same and can recommend a source for the motors. I've seen where some have modified their 5980 with larger motor (for the mill) outside of the column and while I considered this, I'm really leaning toward just replacing motors with like kind in same configuration it came with - understanding the limitations, of course.

Interested in sources or recommendations -
Thanks

on the lathe drive motor you may have a start capacitor starting to act up. the capacitor is easy to change. it's on top of the lathe motor.
as far as the mill motor, i can't recollect the specs on the motor, but if you can either post a picture or post the specifications a motor can be tracked down.

on the lathe drive motor you may have a start capacitor starting to act up. the capacitor is easy to change. it's on top of the lathe motor.
as far as the mill motor, i can't recollect the specs on the motor, but if you can either post a picture or post the specifications a motor can be tracked down.

This is the lathe motor - and the capacitor is mounted on top.
Lathe Motor.jpg

Will need to pull the mill motor out top have a look at it. Can't find any specific info on it in the manual.
Will check back once I've pulled that out.

Thanks for the input!

Lathe Motor.jpg

HF just show the mototr without any specs in the parts diagram. Most folks do add a more powerful motor mounted on the outside. They are generally cheaper and can be around 1+ horsepower. I have been fortunate so far both of the motors on my 5980 are still running and spinning up quite nicely. But you never know when they will let the magic Blue smoke escape either.

Bob

Pulled the mill motor out last night:

Mill Motor 2.JPG
Mill Motor 1.JPG

Mill Motor 2.JPG Mill Motor 1.JPG Mill Motor 1.JPG

It looks like a 56 C-flange mounted motor. You could probably get a 3/4 HP that would fit in the available space. But I wouldn't go any larger unless the machine is known for being notoriously underpowered. When you put a significantly larger motor on a machine, you are just asking for trouble. On easy source is W.W. Grainger.

The problem with your lathe motor could also be the centrifugal start switch. Or the START switch. But I would try the capacitor first.

Robert D.

It looks like a 56 C-flange mounted motor. You could probably get a 3/4 HP that would fit in the available space. But I wouldn't go any larger unless the machine is known for being notoriously underpowered. When you put a significantly larger motor on a machine, you are just asking for trouble. On easy source is W.W. Grainger.

The problem with your lathe motor could also be the centrifugal start switch. Or the START switch. But I would try the capacitor first.

Robert D.

Just what I was looking for - Thanks Robert / All for your help.

J

You're welcome.

Where I wrote "the START switch", I was referring to the external switch on the machine, control box, or whatever. It might be labeled RUN, ON, or something else.

Robert D.

Last edited:
It sounded like I had a bad lathe motor in my barely used 5980. Upon closer inspection I discovered there was no set screw or hole for one in the motor pulley, nor was it tapered. After drilling/tapping and putting one in it runs quiet and nice. I wish everything in life was that easy to fix.

That sounds like a case of poor QC and a work force that is more concerned with meeting production quotas than producing working equipment. I'll let it go at that.

Robert D.

Back