Mounting a bench lathe

Looking at that arrangement, I think I would make four aluminum blocks with a horizontal hole to pass a bolt that locks the block to the side of the bed and a vertical hole to lock the block to the bench.

I wonder what would happen if he happened to turn a big piece that was odd shaped and caused an imbalance. Do you think that would set up enough vibration so the lathe could move? I dunno', John, I think I would solidly mount the lathe ...

And besides, if it does move around even a little bit then his ways may move too - Taper City, no?

you could drill and tap the ends and use some angle steel.

I vote for simple.

Ubolts!

So do those lift handles come off? I figure you can run a bolt through them into the upright of some angle iron, then bolt the angle iron to the bench. Sure, it's not as secure as bolting the base directly, but it should improve things for very low time/money investment.

Cheers,

John

I wonder what would happen if he happened to turn a big piece that was odd shaped and caused an imbalance. Do you think that would set up enough vibration so the lathe could move? I dunno', John, I think I would solidly mount the lathe ...

I was offset turning on my 9x20 once and set the spindle to an rpm that was too high , definetly glad it was bolted down :)

Stu

This bench got really put on hold . I was planning on retiring in 3 years , take a year to see where we would setting down , our house isn't bad , good neighbors but the traffic since we build it 35 years going is just too much , the noise is so bad you can't talk while the trucks/motorcyles ect go by . There was a nice older raised ranch across a creek from my son and DIL that the husband died last year and mother was going to moving in a nursing home . We approached the daughter saying we would like to make an offer , She took our name and a few months later we saw someone moving in . We figured someone in their family or close friend bought it . Well today we got a call asking if we still were interstuded , apparently a family move a few things in while the mother was still living there and was helping her our . We walked around made a offer and she called back accepting it ! So now my whole plans are changing . I'll be figuring out where/how I'm going to set up my shop . There's a shed about the size of a one car garage , a oversize block 2 car garage with about 1/2 of that as a second floor .

OK! Yer on the way to a much nicer shop space, that you can lay out and organize ahead of time. Best wishes on the move, as well as the sale of your current house.

This bench got really put on hold . I was planning on retiring in 3 years , take a year to see where we would setting down , our house isn't bad , good neighbors but the traffic since we build it 35 years going is just too much , the noise is so bad you can't talk while the trucks/motorcyles ect go by . There was a nice older raised ranch across a creek from my son and DIL that the husband died last year and mother was going to moving in a nursing home . We approached the daughter saying we would like to make an offer , She took our name and a few months later we saw someone moving in . We figured someone in their family or close friend bought it . Well today we got a call asking if we still were interstuded , apparently a family move a few things in while the mother was still living there and was helping her our . We walked around made a offer and she called back accepting it ! So now my whole plans are changing . I'll be figuring out where/how I'm going to set up my shop . There's a shed about the size of a one car garage , a oversize block 2 car garage with about 1/2 of that as a second floor .

Sounds like you're well on your way to the shop you really want. I have a small shop with a benchtop Seneca Falls lathe, I'd really like a floor mounted model though. As has been pointed out here many times, you can do good work on a small machine but not large work. Knowing what I know now I would have sold my bench lathe and bought a similar sized floor unit with modern bearings, chuck mounting, and a quick change gearbox. If you don't have a lot invested in tooling you will be dollars ahead to buy something more capable of doing nice work.

Cheers,

John

Back