Mounting a Chuck on the Dividing Head

kb3guy

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I have a VN 10" horizontal dividing head (see below,) which is currently equipped with centers and a dog driver. I'd like to mount a 6" four-jaw chuck on it for holding larger, flatter work. Specifically, I'm thinking about milling curved slots in the face of a workpiece by driving the index through change gears, similar to how cam cutting works, but on the face rather than the edge of the work.

I'm curious how to avoid having the chuck rotate off the spindle in operation. The dog driver has a clamp screw to keep it from coming off the threads, but I don't know how that would work on a chuck - I assume it would warp slightly and make problems for accuracy.

Is the assumption that you use plain threads and just always rotate into the cutter in a way that will tighten the chuck, or is there some other way to make sure things stay safe? Any VN index owners out there who know how the OEM chuck was attached? Thanks in advance.

2018-06-24 19.34.18.jpg

I made an adaptor for my Carrol, Put a set screw in the side of the adaptor to hold things tight.

Because of backlash you will not want to change the rotation direction when cutting gears, or any other machining.

Great idea on the setscrew - I think I’ll try that method (with a soft piece in between the setscrew and spindle, of course.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back