Mounting a Sherline 4400 Lathe on 80/20

Studying my frame and the profiles (bars) that I used, I conclude that the only other internal connector that will work at the corners (where the feet are) is the standard anchor fastener. It provides a significantly stronger connection than the inside-outside hidden corner connectors that I used. Also, the anchor fastener does not have a disadvantage that I found with the hidden corner connectors: Adjusting the position slightly after the set screws have been set is difficult, in that the set screws tend to reset into the original positions.

The anchor fastener requires one of the T-slot profiles to be machined: a hole 0.563" diameter x 0.425" deep. 8020.net sells an achor fastener counterbore cutter for the 10-series profiles: part no. 6160, mill diameter 9/16", $55. A photo of the cutter is attached.

In the photo, the cutter appears to be pointed at the end. Would an ordinary two-flute end mill work OK to machine the hole with a Sherline 5400 mill? I have read about end mills. It seems that two-flute end mills are generally center cutting (capable of drilling or plunge cutting). I found that littlemachineshop.com is selling a 9/16" dia two-flute HSS end mill for $9.

You can get both 2 and 4 flute center cutting end mills.

I would think that would work if you didn't try to take too much too fast, but I have not done much plunge cutting on the mill and nothing that big / deep. The size may be an issue, 3/8" has been my go to endmill on the Sherline mill, larger and plunge cutting might be too much for it. Maybe drill it out and then finish with the end mill? Not really sure.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to give you a better answer.

Karl, are you just drilling a 9/16" hole?

Do you have a 9/16" drill? If you prefer to use an end mill and are just enlarging an existing hole then a 9/16" end mill will work. It doesn't need to be center-cutting. And yes, the Sherline mill will handle it. Just make sure you buy the end mill with a shank that fits your tool holder.

No, I don't have a 9/16" drill. I have a jobber drill bit set 1/16" to 3/8" by 1/64" increments.
The hole has to machined at/into a T-slot that has a 0.26" wide opening. The T-slot is 9/16" wide inside at its widest.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I am absolutely clear on what you're doing, you have an existing 0.26" ID hole and wish to enlarge that hole to one with an ID of 9/16", right? You are not cutting, just enlarging? The reason I ask is because another option might be to just bore it if you have a boring head and bars.

Here is a image from 8020.net that shows the hole that the anchor fastener requires in the profile/bar.

Attachments

• 8020 standard anchor.PNG
    8020 standard anchor.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
Either a plunge cut with an end mill or you can bore it. Perhaps until you learn to bore, an end mill will be a better choice.

Gotta say OP, I love the setup! I think it looks clean and youre off to a great start there!

Here's one I completely missed , but I just looked at a couple hundred pounds of 80/20 out in the dumpster . I keep eyeballing it thinking of un-needed projects , but I hate to see anything go to waste . :big grin:

Back