Mounting a Sherline 4400 Lathe on 80/20

Karl A

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After I received my Sherline 4400 lathe, I endeavored to follow Sherline's instructions to mount the lathe on a 10" x 36" laminated wood shelf. I was undecided on the color, and purchased one of each from a hardware store: black, white, gray, and brown. I did not find any of them aesthetically pleasing. I returned them.

I searched the forums here for discussions on mounting a Sherline lathe. I found two threads.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/steel-plate-for-sherline-lathe-base.37437/
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mounting-small-machine-tools.62194/
The suggestion that I liked best in the discussions was to mount the lathe on extruded rectangular aluminum tubing.

I decided to mount the lathe on frame made from 80/20 T-slot aluminum. This photo shows the result.
Sherline 4400  lathe with DRO on 8020 base.jpg

There are 2"-wide steel bars along the front and the back of the lathe, for my magnetic dial indicator holder. The four feet are height adjustable. The DRO display is mounted to a hinge with adjustable resistance.

I purchased and used a Starrett model-98 6-inch machinists' level to level the frame, and then to shim the lathe level.
Karl

Wow, a brand spankin' new Sherline long bed lathe! Good job on the mounting there, Karl.

That looks very clean, much better than chunk of shelf. I don't like pressed wood so I picked out a nice piece of plywood, cut it to 15x33"and varnished it. I went a little wider than suggested to help catch the chips.

Sherline 4400.jpg

If you are running that on a table, you might find a commercial baking sheet pan useful to act as a chip tray. A full sheet pan is 18x26 with about a 1" lip, so that might fit right inside it.

I really like that blue color!

After I received my Sherline 4400 lathe, I endeavored to follow Sherline's instructions to mount the lathe on a 10" x 36" laminated wood shelf. I was undecided on the color, and purchased one of each from a hardware store: black, white, gray, and brown. I did not find any of them aesthetically pleasing. I returned them.

Karl

I like your setup and recently started looking at some 25mm 8020 for a base and enclosure (specifically, the Orange Aluminum site). You wouldn't happen to have a parts list around? I like the mount and feet you're showing. My machines have not arrived yet, but are inbound.

Nice work!

My 4400 has been on the same 70’s clear stained kitchen cabinet door for the past 20 years with a 2” steel strip running parallel behind the bed for indicators and such.

I think it’s time for a new bed...
0D65DFC7-9714-4B97-A146-0C2F4E0F0D6F.jpeg

I also want to raise the bed up from the base a few inches (gives more room for external accessories), change out the handwheels with some Bridgeport styled ones (maybe my next project to make), add in some diy DRO....

Brad

Last edited:
Mike,
I mounted the lathe on the frame after Sherline returned the lathe to me with a new tailstock (to correct the excessive, out-of-spec, misalignment).
I am glad that you approve of using a frame to mount the lathe. As a beginner to machining, I don't know what I might have missed as an important design consideration. I plan to mount my new Sherline 5400 mill on 80/20.

Aaron,
I like your idea of full-pan commercial baking sheet ('18x26 with about a 1" lip') as a chip tray. The 80/20 frame is 18"x10". The feet extend past the edges of the frame by 0.18".

NortonDommi,
I work as a product develop lead, for membrane elements. The membrane elements are like reverse osmosis elements used to produce water from seawater, except that they are used in gases (such as natural gas) and hydrocarbon liquids.
I enjoy designing things in my hobbies.

Chipsky,
The 80/20 parts list is attached, in the form of an image. The feet are screwed into the ends of 80/20 channel, with I tapped to 1/4-20 thread.
Note: This is my second time using 80/20, and I don't have a print catalog -- which would make designing easier. The corner connectors I used seem OK for a Sherline lathe, but don't seem adequate for a heavy machine.

Bradells,
My mount could be raised by placing longer 80/20 channels at the corners. The lengths of channel at three of the corners is 1". The length of channel under the DRO display is 6".

Attachments

• 8020 shopping cart for mount of Sherline 4400 lathe with DRO.png
    8020 shopping cart for mount of Sherline 4400 lathe with DRO.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 114
Chipsky,
The 80/20 parts list is attached, in the form of an image. The feet are screwed into the ends of 80/20 channel, with I tapped to 1/4-20 thread.
Note: This is my second time using 80/20, and I don't have a print catalog -- which would make designing easier. The corner connectors I used seem OK for a Sherline lathe, but don't seem adequate for a heavy machine.

Yes, I did my CNC router out of 4 x 4 a few years back and sourced from 80/20 directly. It's also the best place i've found for black anodized so far. Thanks!

I never thought of putting steel strips alongside the lathe to attach the indicator stand to. I've just relied on the weight of the stand to keep it in place, which luckily on projects that fit the Sherline has been adequate if occasionally frustrating.
Nice work!

My 4400 has been on the same 70’s clear stained kitchen cabinet door for the past 20 years with a 2” steel strip running parallel behind the bed for indicators and such.

I think it’s time for a new bed...
View attachment 329179

I also want to raise the bed up from the base a few inches (gives more room for external accessories), change out the handwheels with some Bridgeport styled ones (maybe my next project to make), add in some diy DRO....

Brad

It looks like you have the extended tool post and riser blocks?

Back