Mounting benchmill to lifting table

Driveslayer45

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon everybody I know this is not ideal but I have some serious space constraints and was wondering how bad of an idea would it be to mount my p.m. 727 benchmill toy lifting table that has a thousand pound capacity? I understand I would probably want to take the casters off or would I maybe just locking them in place would be enough. The main reason for considering this is I have a height limitation so being able to raise and lower the entire Mill as a whole could be beneficial.

Sounds good to me, if you believe it's strong enough and won't dump the mill on your feet ;)
That would really make your day as Clint would say

I would worry about the stability of the lifting table and it being knocked over because it is top heavy. If the table seems solid enough to you and you feel comfortable that it won't be easily knocked over then go for it.

Like a hydraulic one? If yes, one thing to consider is the less expensive ones may not be designed to be left in the vertical position like floor jacks & engine hosists aren't. The hydraulic cylinder is not designed to be stored extended for long periods of time. Some of the expensive industrial ones can though. Not sure if they have some sort of latch to allow them to be stored vertically.

While it seems like a good idea if it's one of the hydraulic ones there are several problems. Like Darkzero just said unless you put some support in the mechanism they will not stay in place forever. Also the mechanism even though robust for lifting is not as stable as a bench. Even if you lock the castors they can rotate and move. I have one of the 1,000# models and use it for a welding table/bench but can quickly remove the heavy table and welding supplies I keep on it to use again for a lift table. I also keep a couple of pieces of tubing wedged into the bottom slide to take off the pressure on the hydraulics. I love mine and I wouldn't want to be without it.

this is the one i am thinking about. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438.html
The castors are my biggest concern. i figured i would put 'legs' under each corner to actually take the load. my 'shop' is an old water delivery step van. So i only have 72" height to work with, and 5' wide so it will be cramped but this is the best place for me to work at this time.

I am also thinking about just building a short platform out of 2" angle iron to sit it on. its coming in tomorrow so i have to make a final decision on what i am going to do.

Unless you are really tall & need that much height, I would just make a simple riser. Way cheaper & it will be much more sturdy & safer. That's what I did for my mill/drill.

IMG_20121122_132005.jpgIMG_20121122_133035.jpg

You may want to re-think the lift table you're considering. I just looked up the specs on the PM727, and its footprint is 39" x 30". If I'm looking at the specs correctly, the footprint on the lift table is only 32" x 20", and the overall length (which I'm assuming is essentially the wheelbase) is only 37". That's WAY too small for this mill.

Regards,
Terry

That's the size of the chip pan. The stand for that mill is only 21.25 x 12.5 from PM.

I am rethinking it, more specifically rethinking moving my lathe to, and putting the mill into my motor cycle hooch. Which is a metal building with a dirt / plywood floor.

My fear with that is without a solid concrete floor would it be safe to put it there, and what would I do with the van that's been my shop for the last two decades.

Back