Mounting benchmill to lifting table

That's the size of the chip pan. The stand for that mill is only 21.25 x 12.5 from PM.

I am rethinking it, more specifically rethinking moving my lathe to, and putting the mill into my motor cycle hooch. Which is a metal building with a dirt / plywood floor.

My fear with that is without a solid concrete floor would it be safe to put it there, and what would I do with the van that's been my shop for the last two decades.
Okay, that's much safer. Sounds to me like neither situation is ideal. You'll just need to decide on which is the better of the two scenarios and go with it. I would think stability would be the biggest challenge in the hooch. Possibly secrete and/or concrete block under each foot?

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: You deserve a gold star for operating out of a van for the last two decades. That's dedication.

I'm getting a clearer picture of what's going on. Personally I'd not go to the hooch because the swing in humidity and the rust it would cause besides the dust and instability of the floor. Just out of curiosity do you do that big of stuff that you have to take the head all the way up?

HF also has a scissor transmission jack that I used and I found it very useful. And cheap. The beauty of the scissor is compact, no hydraulics to leak down and linear motion where hydraulic's have the arc of the arm to deal with. Which was a real pain in doing trans work IMHO. The only fly in the ointment is the pm727 by itself is just over the rated limit of the jack. But I know I lifted more than 450lbs with mine with no problem. I envision lifting with the scissor adjusting the legs and letting off on the Jack, leaving it in place for next adjustment.

I have one of the HF 1K lb lift tables and love it. Between it and a 450 lb medical patient lift, I can move heavy stuff that would otherwise be impossible with my very bad 64 year old back.

I ended up getting to 500 pound hf lift. It serves its purpose but I should have gotten the 1000# unit. It was too wobbly, I didn't trust it so I built a frame to actually hold the mill for use, but I can raise the mill a few inches or pull it out from the wall for service when required.

This setup is very solid.

Not a great picture, but it's late. The boss lady inspecting my work ..IMG_20190619_234909524.jpg

Not sure on how high you need to lift the mill but since you already have a bike then maybe you can get or use your existing cycle jack to do the job? Plus most cycle jacks are very stable and come with some type of locking system to keep locked in a lifted position.

The lifting table worked great for moving the mill into location from the door of the van. I look d at my motorcycle jack as an option but it's lift wasn't high enough and it was kind of small.

i swept up the floor before i brought the mill in.. and no, I've not made chips yet since getting the mill. My lathe (3 in 1) is on the other side, out of the frame

Back