Mounting D1-3 Three jaw chuck

You can download a few of the Grizzley lathe manuals. I forget which ones, but some show & tell quite well, how to align/ adjust the cams.

Reactions: rwm
Thanks Supurburbon,
Grizzly will be my next step, but I am now going to respond to the wealth of information I got yesterday. Investigation of my 3 jaw today, found a chip in one pin socket, removed same. Light test revealed space between the chuck and backing plate. Something I don't understand yet is like a tunnel of light close to the taper then dark then a band of light near the perimeter of the chuck shoulder. After chip removal I could not get a 0.006 feeler gage between the chuck and the pin holder assembly. When grooves in pins are starting to disappear the cams cannot be tightened enough to hold chuck, one revolution of each pin inward (groove in pin almost out of sight) cams seems to hold chuck but the wrench just goes solid without any feeling of cam rubbing
I believe some progress was made today.
I mis-spoke yesterday when I said the back of the chuck was flat, that is true for the 4 jaw but the 3 jaw has a slight shoulder +/- 1/16.
Thanks to everyone on this problem.
It's off to Grizzly world so have a good day
Raay

What about the fit of your backing plate to the spindle face and taper? Looking for light between back plate and spindle face was the test I was suggesting.

Bob
Thanks for the response, I think I performed the test you suggested but I am not using the correct terminology. I'll put it another way-- I was looking where the chuck meets the spindle. I did put a dial indicator on three places without the chuck bein mounted; the end of the spindle, about 1/2 way up the taper and the spindle face Results were less than 0.001 deflection.
There was a post about an index mark on the pin and the chuck housing; I could not find the two "V"s or the index mark on any of the pins.
A call to customer service at Grizzly did not reveal any information on adjusting Cam Lock chucks.
In looking at Grizzly's literature about South Bend Chucks and adaptor plate I see that the D1-4 chuck has 3 pins so I stand corrected on that.
Your time and consideration on this problem is certainly appreciated.
Thanks again
Ray

If you look at the picture of the slanted t slot look closely and it looks like the whole chuck is crowned. The chuck face definately has a crown. I wonder if the whole chuck sprung after getting machined?

Used a Dial indicator on the surfaces of the three jaw today; the diameter near the back plate is 0.004 run out, then checked the surface from the back plate to the front between the jaws it ran -0.002, 0.0 and +0.010 with the 0.010 being perpendicular to the area where there is no light viable between the spindle and the back of the chuck. I have tried mounting the chuck in the 3 positions possible with no improvement My conclusion is the back of the chuck is not true. (no kidding) LOL. Jim Dawson mounted his 4 jaw on what I think is a shaft supported by a collet at the spindle and a live center at the tailstock. A question for Jim for runout, did you use the outer perimeter of chuck and the jaws tight on a shaft or is that an arbor?
I don't have any adjustable arbors so am planning tightening the jaws on shaft that will be mounted between centers. Hopefully I can find a problem this way.
Have a good day
Ray

Are you convinced that the back plate is seating fully against the spindle face, all the way around? I would certainly make sure that is correct before doing anything else.

Back