Mounting DRO Head Unit on 5914

HighWall

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for some ideas for mounting the head unit of a DRO on the 5914 Clausing. It's a little complex, given clearance for the (still functional) speed controller, the tapered pedestal and, in my case, taper attachment. So far, I've seen a mast welded up and mounted on the electrical box that protrudes from the back and a RAM ball mount with arm bolted to the top deck. I'm considering something using Super Strut but am still working on the design. Might almost be best to make a freestanding rack behind the lathe as I have clearance all around it. The RAM ball mount looks to be the simplest although it requires drilling the top. I haven't taken the top off yet, but it looks a little complicated. I've already mounted the scales and readers and am currently using a Magic Arm and Super Clamp for the head unit but it's a little wonky.

Well, I ended up build a framework of superstrut that incorporates a 5' long shelf, a tooling rack and space to hold magnetic appliances. It also provides a solid but unobtrusive mount for the readout and a power strip. I will most likely remove the work light from the headstock and mount something more contemporary on the strut, but I'm still shopping. I expect I'll hang a piece of sheet metal on it as a backsplash for chip and coolant control when I get the chance. It took much longer to build than it should have, but I'd never built anything with strut materials before and the connectors are hard to find here without making an order from the local electrical supply. They have a loyal following among local professionals but they're impossible to contact for information without driving over there and getting in line. I did find an eBay vendor who I will buy from in the future. Decent price, free shipping and arrived a day ahead of schedule. It was really satisfying, working with these materials and I really like what I built. Plus, it will be easy to modify in the future if I need to.

Know this an old thread but no had responded...
I found using UniStrut a great resource since it is heavy gauge channel. I cut the piece and MIG weld them together.

Back