Mounting L00 Adapter Plate To Chuck

Yes, that is what I will do then, Yes when I was mounting my DRO on my mill I cut off some bolt heads off the bolts and ground the ends to a point and used that as a blind hole transfer punch. But in the case of the lathe adapter, if I need to I would purchase the more accurate ones.

Thanks Jim,

Does it matter if I face the adapter and then turn the register to size or the other way around as you indicated?

Thanks for all of the help.

We have a vacation home up in Olympia WA. Next time we drive up I will have to stop and buy you a cool beverage.

Joe

Facing first is fine. Remember to put a small undercut at the back of the register so there is no interference in that corner. Like the outer bottom of the register pocket in the chuck.

It's my pleasure to help out.

A cool one sounds good!

You can transfer the blind holes they have set screws with points and a tool to turn them in and out of the hole , I forget the manufacturer , think they are called blind transfer sets. Your on the right path now mount the adapter to your lathe ,turn the register to size and depth ,should fit snug and not bottom out. The transfer screw sets can be had I think for about $15 . Or make your own out of set screws use your 5 c collets for the job they are designed for , turn points at 60% then file four flats to turn them in and out of the holes set the out just enough so the mark your blued adapter and lay a aluminum plate on the adapter and tap with a good sharp blow . Pull it apart ck your marks oh and add witness mark to the adapter and chuck to realign at the same spot. Drill your holes ,counterbore if room allows then mount your chuck . Install and then ck your runout you can adjust it some by shim but it should be near perfect if the machining is right.

so the undercut would be just before the shoulder rises up to the step?

Joe

Right where the outer face and the register meet, that would be the left side of the register as you are standing at the lathe. I hope that makes sense.

So bevel the angle where the outer face meets the side of the step?

See image.
bevel.jpg

That one is hard to describe with words, I'm not that articulate. Right there in the corner where the blue arrow is. You also want the want to put a small chamfer on the outside corner where your arrow is.

bevel.jpg

Great, so an undercut where the blue arrow is and a bevel where the black arrow is. That is what I will do.

Thanks

Joe

Jim and All,

I took the bolts off the back of chuck, found the witness marks on the chuck. Tried to tap the chuck with a rubber mallet.

Cannot seem to split the chuck. The split is right on the middle of where the chuck wrench goes.

Any ideas on how to split the chuck without damaging it?

Thanks

Joe

Put the wrench in the hole where the wrench goes, and tap it sideways. Work your way around all 3 holes. That should break it free, without breaking anything.

Back