Mounting new LMS bench lathe

higgite

Professional Crastinator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A new LMS 3540 8.5x20 lathe is enroute to yours truly as I type. Due for delivery next Tuesday. My soon to be former 7x14 mini lathe now sits on a Home Depot mobile workbench like the one pictured. I would like to use it as the base for my new lathe.
93b3df71-c863-48ed-a037-e7fb9b52a80a_400.jpg
Due to my space limitations, it has worked great for my 7x14. Roll it out of its cubby hole to use the lathe, tuck it back in the corner out of the way when finished. The workbench is quite sturdy. It has a 575 lb. weight rating overall, though the casters are rated for even more weight. The new lathe weighs 220 lbs with chuck and tailstock. I have about 50 lbs of tools, accessories and valuable junk stored in the drawers, mostly concentrated on the end away from the headstock. The bench top is 1/2" thick hardwood, 46" wide x 18" deep x 37" high. I will bolt the new lathe to it. What do you LMS 8.5x20, 8.5x16 or Sieg SC4 owners think? Will it work? Thanks.

Tom

I have a SB 8k, 8x18 that weighs almost 300 lbs and I have it mounted on a 40" tool box lower. Works great. :)

I put a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the box and two small aluminum plates between the plywood and the lathe ends just to distribute the weight a little bit.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. That gives me more confidence in my plan to use the rolling tool chest as a stand. I'm surprised by the lack of responses from LMS 8.5x16/20 owners. Would have thought there were more out there. Maybe I'm a pioneer. :))

I think it will be a perfect home for the new machine, It will give you tons more storage and a stable base from which to work. It would be a little high for me, but nothing changing from wheelchair to bar stool wont solve immediately. As mentioned above a couple of Alli plates would definitely help distribute the weight. But the machine is not really much heavier than what you had originally. The work bench is also a great way to store tooling and accessories too!!!

Bob

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. That gives me more confidence in my plan to use the rolling tool chest as a stand. I'm surprised by the lack of responses from LMS 8.5x16/20 owners. Would have thought there were more out there. Maybe I'm a pioneer. :))

I really do like having the ability to roll the lathe out of the way when it's clean up time. I even have my little bench mill mounted on one. There's a thread or two where I've posted pics of my little shop if interested in doing a search.

I've talked to one or two people who own that LMS lathe, but not sure they hang out here.

I'm also a pioneer, as I don't think there are any other SB 8ks on this board. But I'm quite comfortable being a loner. :))

Bill

I thought we had quite a few SB fans and owners, but they may have nigrated to another SB board. I heard there was a really good one but cannot remember where. We would rather not lose any members, but I see no problem with being a member of both if it serves a good purpose either. I will try to look through the cobwebs in my head and try to remember what board was especially good, hopefully without the rude elitism that seems to abound on other sites.

Bob

I thought we had quite a few SB fans and owners, but they may have nigrated to another SB board. I heard there was a really good one but cannot remember where. We would rather not lose any members, but I see no problem with being a member of both if it serves a good purpose either. I will try to look through the cobwebs in my head and try to remember what board was especially good, hopefully without the rude elitism that seems to abound on other sites.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I was just saying that I'm probably the only owner of the little SB 8k (which purists will say isn't a SB...but that's another story). There seems to be plenty of SB 9 and 10k owners here on the board.

While I do visit other boards that may be more 'small/hobby' machine focused, I participate here the most. :)

Bill

I used one of those tool boxes in our race trailer. Nice box for the price. Fwiw this is what I use for my 9x20. Its $399 at Sams Warehouse. Its rated to 1000 lbs and is very rigid. Takes about 4 hours to assemble.

LatheBench.jpg

Well, I got it mounted on the tool cabinet. Thanks to all for your input. :)) Now to finish cleaning it up and start making some chips.
IMG_0674 - Version 3.jpg

IMG_0674 - Version 3.jpg

Back