Mounting plate for Spencer Franklin HydraClamp (UK)

MrJof

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone! Former mech engineer here who's still dreaming of owning a house with a shed and his own vertical mill... One day... one day! In the meantime I'm carving wood and that's where I need some machinist expert input.

I'm looking for someone in UK who can machine me a mounting plate for a Spencer HydraClamp. The old fashioned HydraClamps had a brilliantly practical mounting plate but they don't do it any more (typical!) so I'm hoping it'll be possible to make one like it.

In lieu of my own drawing (I'll do one once I can post pictures) if you google "Face Plate for SF-1400M" you'll see a rough sketch on WDS' site. What I'm thinking of is like that plus four 3/8" holes at 5" PCD (perhaps - it needs mocking up first).

Details (in imperial as per their drawing):

Diameter ("A" on the drawing on their site) = 7"
Thickness ("B" on said drawing) = 1/2"
Boss face to plate back face (C) = 1"
Boss diameter (D) = 1"
Slot width (E) = 0.377” - 0.376” (precise range due to transition/push fit interface with a boss)
Slot depth = 0.281"- 0.291"
Material = EN1A
Tolerances = +/- 20 thou should be fine everywhere except the slot as above (which is a transition fit with a boss)
Surface finish = deburred plus whatever's reasonable for you.
Quantify = one

Any leads - or tips for finding such a person - very welcome! If all else fails, seems like a good chance to meet some new people :)

Many thanks
Jof

I looked up the drawing and the price. No wonder you are looking for someone to make it.

Indeed. It's silly isn't it?! Especially when the plates for the other HydraClamps in their range are less than 1/5th of the price and have such advanced technological feature as holes to put screws through. As I mention, their old design - with multiple slots in it - was really useful. Sadly those old ones are ultra rare, coming up on eBay over here maybe once a year.

On the plus side, I'm now more motivated than ever to get a house with a big shed :)

Last edited:
I'm in the US, otherwise I'd help. Shipping something like that to the UK ends up being about 1/2 of the $180 to buy one!

Also, I'm unfamiliar with the EN1A, though research shows it is a steel not really accessible here. Hopefully a UK member with a lathe shows up to help out!

What do you think it would cost to ship that part to the UK? I have a piece of 6" round just over 1" thick. It is probably AISI 1020 hot rolled. If it were sent as a gift would there be customs declaration needed?

What do you think it would cost to ship that part to the UK? I have a piece of 6" round just over 1" thick. It is probably AISI 1020 hot rolled. If it were sent as a gift would there be customs declaration needed?

I ran a quote through UPS that said ~$240, USPS is cheapest at about $90. Cheapest according to some estimators is ~$80 with DHL.

Thanks for your investigations. Wow, USPS are expensive! To be expected I think. Weight is definitely going to fact in here.

Customs is a tricky one. I'll ask about and see what I can find. One possible optimisation is to say it's a part that was sent via UK and refurbished over there.

Regarding the material, it doesn't have to be EN1A - there's nothing special about it really. It's a fairly run-of-the-mill, easy-to-machine mild steel with decent properties in cold rolled/drawn form. Looks like the tensile properties of cold drawn AISI 1020 are pretty similar... I'm guessing hot rolled is on the lower end of the strength range?

Thanks for your investigations. Wow, USPS are expensive! To be expected I think. Weight is definitely going to fact in here.

Customs is a tricky one. I'll ask about and see what I can find. One possible optimisation is to say it's a part that was sent via UK and refurbished over there.

Regarding the material, it doesn't have to be EN1A - there's nothing special about it really. It's a fairly run-of-the-mill, easy-to-machine mild steel with decent properties in cold rolled/drawn form. Looks like the tensile properties of cold drawn AISI 1020 are pretty similar... I'm guessing hot rolled is on the lower end of the strength range?
If the shipping cost wasn't so high, I've got a drop from a previous project of a medium carbon steel (unknown just what it is...) that is a little more than 8" in diameter that would probably work just fine.

Hopefully a UK or European member here can help you out.

Probably going to be even more after Brexit! :(

The other alternative is that I'm in US twice a year... Not due again until January though.

Ok, let us know! I'm in Oregon, but I'm sure there is someone wherever youre travelling that can help.

Back