Mounting Threaded Pipe to Turn

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 2" x 28" pipe with about 2" inner threading at the ends. One end I have in my 4-jaw but the other end is my quandary. Looking for the most solid setup for the tailstock end. I have a steady rest, though never used one yet, but was wondering about using a bull center in threaded pipe? Am I correct in thinking the thread would not give a good enough seat for the bull center or the thread would get damaged? Would I be better off making a plug to thread into the pipe end, center drill and use a regular live center in it to secure the end? Any better way to do this? Am I making this more difficult than it really is? :D Thanks.

Last edited:
I dont do pipe with internal too often, I just bought a bullnoze live center from ebay, I have not used it yet
Look at this on eBay
Hth
Rich

Thanks Rich but I'm curious as I've never done this before if the center would damage the internal threads at the end of the pipe. Or, would the threads not allow the pipe to sit square on the center?

you could make an aluminum plug from a piece of scrap, that fits in the pipe with a center hole in it to use a regular live center and protect the threads.

Stu

You typically round or champher the 1st couple threads so I do not believe so

Edit
This live center goes from just shy of an 1" to 4" on 2" pipe, I think you should be fine. There are other tapers available also

Bull nose center , an aluminum plug machined to the minor diameter or you could center drill a pipe plug with the corresponding threads and screw it in . They'll all work fine .

There are several ways to hold tube, threaded or not, which method you use depends on where on the OD you need to machine. If you’re holding in a 4-jaw I assume you don’t need to turn the whole length but how close to the tail end do you need to machine?

Mal

Thanks guys. Mal, I need to turn down some rust for almost the full length.I tried using the steady rest but the pipe was bouncing all over the place towards the end after I had it dialed in about 2" from the chuck. Wasted about 1 hour trying to dial it in in the rest. Either it's not rigid enough or my inexperience using a rest came into play...pro'lly both. :disillusion: I just ordered a bull nose center so we'll give it a shot after it's delivered. Thanks guys.

Just curious how rusty is this pipe? Are we talking thick scale rust or light surface rust?
Thick scale take a wire wheel and clean it up before you even get it to the lathe. Light surface rust you should be fine, but you can also clean that up first. If you have a hobby grade machine you are just helping to prolong its life and your enjoyment of it. I know from experience.

Back