Mounting trunions

You don't need RT or indexer, that's what the SQUARE wood blocks are for. The hole in the square blocks is centered. Make a saw cut on one side of the block, put a screw in it to squeeze it back together around the barrel.. Now you have a barrel centered in a box.
Clamp it directly to the table, and bolt down some stops on 2 sides to locate it after you flip it 180 degrees.

You don't need RT or indexer, that's what the SQUARE wood blocks are for. The hole in the square blocks is centered. Make a saw cut on one side of the block, put a screw in it to squeeze it back together around the barrel.. Now you have a barrel centered in a box.
Clamp it directly to the table, and bolt down some stops on 2 sides to locate it after you flip it 180 degrees.
Ok, I get it now. I am a little slow. Brilliant method and perfect for my situation and available tools.

I used to make up barrel plugs when machining our Howizter barrels . We had the big lathes and mills that could handle such size . At home on smaller ones , once your bore is finished , locktite a bar into it and chuck it up . Use a tailstock center in the rear of it . You can also turn the OD with precision concentricity with this method .

Back