Mounting vise to table

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Hi guys. I’ll be mounting a new DX6 to a new 12x54 manual milling machine table. I’m wondering what would best to put between the vise and table? Way oil, Boeshield T9, other oil. The table is big enough so the vise is not likely to be getting moved regularly. I do not have plans on using flood coolant but a Noga mister might be used at some point.

I plan on cleaning in the table and vise base then using a precision ground stone on both and then applying what is recommended between the two. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheap and simple, silicone grease. Smear on a thin layer then wipe it to a thinner clear layer with a lint free cloth.

I mount clean. The only time I might consider using something would be if I felt the vise would be mounted for an extremely long time, like a year or more, which would never happen in my shop.

Ted

PT, considering your situation where flood coolant might wick in between the vise and table, I would apply a thin machine oil (ISO32 style) for peace mind. Definitely not grease. If your work does not require you to move the vise very often then maybe remove the vise periodically for inspection purposes.

PT, considering your situation where flood coolant might wick in between the vise and table, I would apply a thin machine oil (ISO32 style) for peace mind. Definitely not grease. If your work does not require you to move the vise very often then maybe remove the vise periodically for inspection purposes.

Why wouldn't you use grease? Too think? Just curious?

I wouldn't use grease. Grease is thick & can trap chips or fine debris in it. A low viscosity oil would be best IMO if needed. I don't live in a humid area or have issues with rust but I just spray on a little WD40, like a light mist. I then move the vise back & forth a few times over the t-slots to remove any dust or debris that I might have missed.

I don't use flood coolant but I do spray coolant with a spray bottle. If it weeps under the vise & I don't clean if for a while I'll get a bit of discoloration. It's not rust though & comes right off with light scotchbrite. I was thinking about try Boeshield but if you use a good layer of it leaves a tacky film so I haven't tried it yet. I have it so the thought came up one day. I may trying applying it then wipe off so it doesn't leave the waxy film.

But I do remove my vise often so I don't worry about it much.

I would not use grease because it would be too thick a layer between the vise and table and reduce friction.
Ideally there should be nothing between so the vise gets the best traction on the table. The objective here is only to exclude air between two closely fitting surfaces not to lube them.
And the cleanest thinnest oil you can find would work best.
My .02.

Back