Move 3800-Pound Lathe in Penske Truck?

Guessing about #7000 total Thats right about the legal limit for a 26' non cdl 25,999 gvw penske truck. Most of those truck have some e track in them for securing loads not ideal for equipment but if you package it correctly you could move your machines that way. I would suggest if you go forward to build some skids and secure the machines to the skids with lags cribbing and straps. Use cribbing and straps inside the truck to secure the skidded machines. I moved my entire shop like this only about 30 miles but many trips

Definitely a roll off truck for me ! My guy charges $80.00/hour. 600 miles . 20 hours tops. $1600.00. You wouldn’t have to lift a finger or deal with weigh scales, DOT officers.
As long as the machines are accessible he can winch them on and chain down and be on his way. The only iffy part is the compressor and Bridgeport are top heavy for winching on. I know my guy could do it. Just get a reputable roll off company. Should be able to get them on one load for sure.
Cheers
Martin

The Penske truck holds 10,000 lbs. according to their site.

The riggers on both ends seem convinced the truck will not be a problem, but then they're not going to be driving them.

They got back to me with prices for loading and unloading. One one end, $1800. On the other, $3100. So $4900 plus around $800 for a truck and fuel. I'm at $5700, best case. When the price is already that high, $7000 doesn't look so bad.

The $3100 guy said the reason it's so high is that they will be coming from Jacksonville, and I'll be paying their hourly rate both ways.

This is all pretty amazing. When I had my mill delivered, it was $450. They did a bad job, but still. I would have thought $1200 would be high for just putting a machine on a truck.

The idea of a roll-off truck is not too appetizing. I've seen how they tear machines up. I sold a crummy Clausing lathe to a guy, and he used a roll-off truck.

Right now I'm trying to get someone close by to unload the truck. That should drop the price down near $4000, which won't quite make me throw up.

I would have to rent quite a forklift to put a 2-ton lathe into a box truck.

Herc Rentals in my area has fork lifts up to 20,000lb payloads for rent. Make some calls.
$4,000-$7,000 is absolutely rediculous.

I'm not ready to shove a 2-ton lathe sideways into the small opening of a box truck, six feet off the ground. I moved my band saw and drill press, and I'm not afraid to move my compressor, but I'm not willing to learn rigging on a job like this.

The last Penskee truck I rented, had wooden rails along the sides of the box. 1"x 2" Oak rails, backed up by a fiberglass panel is not going to hold a 2 ton lathe. It would take a lot of cribbing, and knowledge of moving forces to secure such a combination.

I would have to rent quite a forklift to put a 2-ton lathe into a box truck.
I agree, and if you are not experienced, this is not the time to learn.

Herc Rentals in my area has fork lifts up to 20,000lb payloads for rent. Make some calls.
$4,000-$7,000 is absolutely rediculous.

I agree . I rented a Baker-York years back with a side shuttle for nearly next to nothing . Put in 2 large lathes , a BP , big arse horizontal band saw , compressor , bead blaster etc . into the basement . Took less than an hour total . The rental truck guy just stayed at my house until I was done .

Bob Korves and I with one more friend moved a 15"x 50" Colchester, A 3hp Sharp TMV mill and B&S Micromaster.
The 5,500 # payload forklift made it easy. I think the mill is 3,300#.
Do yourself a favor and check out forklift rentals.
The lift was dropped off on a Friday, they picked it up Monday morning. The whole thing cost me less than $200.
OK, I'm done.
Dave is very experienced (mmcmdl) it really isn't a big deal.

Back