Moving A 3 In 1 Machine

Red Box

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I'm hoping to buy a 1996 Shop Task 1720 xmtc for $400. I can't seem to find any manual or tips regarding lifting it. Can I use straps around the mill and a engine lift to move it into my truck? What should I disassemble before moving it? Thanks everyone in advance.

Can't speak for that model/mach, but when I moved my 3 in 1, I easily removed the mill head first. Found it very "topheavy" with head in place. Looking at the pix of your mach, I also wouldn't like to lift by the mill head ...seems like a lot of weight to put on that joint.

Will reply when I get home tonight, I have a 1720xmtc and the manual.

If you can get the milling head off, it should make the machine more manageable when lifting it. Helped a friend move his Granite and that is what he did. Not sure what was involved it doing so though.

I moved my Shoptask 1720 xmtc with the mill head on but as noted by others very top heavy. The mill head would not be very hard to remove. on my 1994 model there are four nice lifting pins in the bed that slide out and make lifting sling attachment pretty easy, just remember the headstock end is heaviest. You can get a manual from Shopmaster for about twenty bucks, I think there were enough changes between 94 and 96 that my manual will not be a lot of help.

You guys are the best! I'll keep you posted if I get it. Fingers crossed! Thanks again.

My 1720 has moved from Hutchinson, Ks to Kansas City to Houston to High Island, TX to Winnie, TX. I have always tried to get the bench and the truck bed to nearly the same height and then use heavy rachet straps to slide it from one to the other. I used additional straps wrapped on the mill head to keep it stable. It has always worked out okay, but always tense knowing that if anything goes wrong it could be the end of a mill or a finger. Always get help and watch the cranks, guards and screws.

When I bought mine, we just lined the table up to the truck bed, and pulled it in. I ran a few straps to keep it from falling over, and the top section from swinging around.

When I got home, I unwired the top motor, and the top section lifted right off. When I hooked it all back together, I used a pair of twist lock plugs for the top motor. Now I can simply unplug, and lift off the top if I need to again.

Back