Moving a Monarch 10ee

DMS, like Cal said, the bottom of an EE is relatively flat, except for the 3 slightly raised foot areas. If you don't have a toe jack, now is the time to make one. You will be soooo thankful you did as they make it easy to get under any heavy equipment (safely). Trying to move a 3,300 lb. EE with a pry bar is not what I consider easy ... or safe. Lift it with your toe jack to slip three 1" pipe rollers under and then it's quite easy to use a pry bar to roll and wiggle it into position. An EE does not need to be bolted down (obviously) or even leveled for that matter ... but I don't know of a single machinist who would NOT level their $100,000 (new) EE! You've got the Rolls Royce of super precision lathes so take the time to set it up level.

Since you probably don't have the lifting capability to raise it up and see, here's what the bottom of the EE base casting looks like. Cheers, Bill ('52 10EE)

10EE Base Casting 3 Bottom Rear .JPG

Bill, Thanks for the photo. Do you have more photos of the base?

Unlike a carpenter's pry bar, a proper machinery mover's pry lever (like the Northern Equipment bar that I linked to) is very much able to safely and effectively lift a 10EE. It's no problem to get a 10EE up on pipes with one but you do need a a fair amount of space to work. Toe jacks are very handy and work better in close quarters.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/14849_lg.jpg

Cal

The guys I had move it used a similar bar, but no bearings on it. They dropped it in the doorway to my garage with a forklift, shoved it the rest of the way in with the forks, then hand "walked" it with that moving bar.

Watching riggers work is like watching a magician.

Back