Moving A Rockwell 21-100

john.oliver35

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello All. Well I went and did it and bought a 21-100 yesterday off of CL. Now I have to get it home! The gentleman I bought it from has an engine lift. I will be hauling in the back of a pickup. Does anyone have a recommended lifting method/lifting points for this? If I don't have to I would rather not remove the Ram and Head - can this head be turned 180 degrees to point the motor down onto the table to cut the height?
20150427_174251.jpg

No expert, but I would lower and lock the knee, then let the head swing down 180 deg. and lock. Then it's a matter of finding a decent point of balance, and putting a sling around the horizontal head column forward and to the rear of the mill body it may tilt a little, but as long as you have it attached at the uppermost point it should be fine. looks like a nice mill. On second look, I think I would just separate the head altogether, and move as two pieces. Hope all goes well. Mike

I would add that setting the knee down on a block of wood for transport would protect the leadscrew nut. I would also remove the base it it's not too difficult. You may have to anyway to get it into the back of a pickup with an engine hoist.

You may want to check the weight of that mill and compare it with the load rating of the pick-up.

Some great advice above.....and when you're sure you have it blocked into the pickup bed so that it cannot slide and tied down well enough, then put on a couple more straps!

That's a nice machine John, make sure it and you arrive home safe!

-brino

Remember that is a round head , fun to line back up again, not like a j head!

Remove the bolts that hold the cabinet on the mill , put a strap around the ram , lift the mill off the base .
LOAD IT ON THE TRUCK

I moved one of these a year ago.

I rotated the head down and put a strap around the ram arm and lifted it as one piece.

It is around 1000lbs. So an engine hoist and your truck can handle it fine.

The challenge might be lifting height. The hoist was at about max height and it barely cleared the deck of my trailer. Your pickup bed might be higher.

Removing it from the base might not help that much as I believe the knee screw extends down into the base when the knee is in the lowest position.

My concern would be how strong are the cargo hooks on the truck bed. Some look like they are more for show than for hard work. I made sure there were two sets of straps holding the mill in place on the trailer and I have a great deal of confidence in its tie downs.

Thank all of you! I believe I am going to rent a trailer and get it tomorrow as I am afraid lift height will be a problem in the truck. Spend an extra $50 to avoid the risk of needing to mess around laying the thing down and breaking something or someone in the process.

If the trailer that you rent has a tilt bed, just be damn sure that the tilt lock pin is in place. I have a hole in the concrete in my drive way (and nearly lost an ankle) one night many years ago because that wasn't the case.

Back