Moving an Atlas Craftsman 101.07403 lathe

I've tried that. It's currently on a sheet metal workbench. I've slid it and it bends the sheet metal. I can lift the whole bench onto some moving dollies and wheel that over, then slide the lathe off, but the new bench is higher than the old one by about 3".

At 350 lbs. if your floor is smooth concrete 2 people (or one large one) should easily be able to slide it across the floor, no moving dollies needed. Once you have the old bench next to the new one just block up the old bench until it is just a bit higher than the new one and slide the lathe over.

I would remove the Motor to get the unbalanced weight off the back side.
then it is easy to move with (2) people. Neither of which need to be really big or strong.

If you don't have help go to your local U-Haul.
They have lists of day workers who are available for moving job help. I have used them twice.
They are independent workres that simply are on a list with U-Haul.
Usually they have a min time requirement but I suspect if you told them you simply needed help for one specific thing 15 min work and promised them a full hour wage they would jump on it.

Another option could be to leave it attached to the sheet metal work bench and lift the lathe and the bench together as one with your hoist. As low as you can on the work bench put some ballast to lower the center of gravity. Get it in position and then you just need to lift the lathe onto its new base. I don't have any pictures of moving my older smaller lathe but that is how I would move it, with the bench attached and the lathe rigged like in the pictures above so that the base acted like a counter balance.

This occurred to me as well after I posted and thought about it some more. I think I need longer straps or maybe a chain for under the table that I can attach the straps to. I need to lift this about 3-4 inches from the old bench to the new one.

At 350 lbs. if your floor is smooth concrete 2 people (or one large one) should easily be able to slide it across the floor, no moving dollies needed. Once you have the old bench next to the new one just block up the old bench until it is just a bit higher than the new one and slide the lathe over.

I've done that, but the bench is too flimsy and bends, twists and looks like it will collapse. And my back can't take the heavy lifting anyway; I'm sore for a few days after doing anything involving lifting. The lathe alone weights 350 lbs, the bench is about 50 or so more empty. I will do as you suggest though, and get the old bench next to the new one somehow and just lift the lathe onto its new home.

I was able to use an engine hoist to move it on to the new table. I strapped it around the back of the head/under the back gear holder and thru the ways. This allowed me to lift it enough to get it in place. It only had to go about 4" up. I did it by myself, too. "Hey, man, come help me move a 350 lb lathe!", doesn't go over well! One way to find out who my true friends are I suppose!

I built a much sturdier table for it (still needs painting and some other finishing work). The old table with the drawers and cupboard is now tucked under the new table.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 7
Back