Moving an ENCO mill/Drill

I assumed that the factory must have a simple way of moving these machines so I poked around the top of the column with a screwdriver. Just as I suspected, there were 2 threaded holes in the top of the column that were just about invisable because they were plugged with grease. I torched a hole in a piece of angle and bolted it on the top of the column using those 2 holes and the 2 bolts holding on the idler pulley. After that picking it up with the shop crane was cake.

It has been two weeks since the move. The mill was split into the three parts (motor, Head/column and table. The movers tried to carried it and found it to be too heavy so they refused to put it in the basement I tried to explain that they needed to strap it to a dolly. Two days later I found two men willing to finish my move. They put all the pieces on a dolly and wheeled it down the staircase to the basement. On problem! They also did the same with the lathe which is lighter than the mill parts. So much when wrong with the move that it will be a while before I can set up the machines. I did get the lights up and the extra outlets for the shop. Now it is on to creating the storage shelving and a base for the lathe.

I got my mill/drill home from the auction yesterday. Sorry, no pictures--no time to peel off the gloves and fiddle with the phone.

Short story: powered lift gates are AWESOME. The rental place offered me a cube van with power lift gate for no up-charge when I went to pick up the truck. At the auction, a couple of us slid the mill/drill over the concrete floor to the edge of the garage. Then backed the truck up and got the lift gate at the same height as the stand. Unbolted the machine from the stand and slid it onto the lift gate. Lifted the rest of the way and slid the machine into the truck. Easy-peasy!

At home, I basically reversed the procedure to slide the machine back off the truck and onto the stand in my garage.

I had rented a engine hoist but never actually used it. Never even assembled it.

Anyway, now to go over what I got. There is a single collet locked in the spindle but I do not seem to have a collet wrench. There is no cutter in the collet, however. Gonna have to find a wrench before I can do much of anything.

Related, I downloaded the manual for my machine. There is no information on lubrication that I can find. Is there some kind of chart of the lubrication points and recommended lubricants?

Craig

Had to put my machines through the front door of the old house that has become my shop. I used 3 2X 8 planks side by side with a lot of blocking under the planks to keep them level and support the weight. Using several short lengths of 1" pipe I rolled them inside to their working spots. A 3510 Branson tractor isn't the best tool to lift them either but it can be done 1 end at a time. Experienced hands at cribbing will tell you to keep it level and stable. As has been said before, work outside the fall zone. More blocking is better than just barely enough! Don't ask me how I know.
Have a good day
Ray

Back