Moving Bolton AT750 with 1 or 2 People?

backhoesawyer

Registered
Registered
I have a very short-notice opportunity to get a Bolton AT750 for next to nothing, but I have to pick it up in two days, and may have just myself and an older friend to move it.

I looked at the parts breakdown, and I'm guessing disassembly is the way to go; a practical question to any AT750 owners—do you think it's possible to disassemble enough, easily enough, that one person could move the pieces? It looks like the mill assembly is affixed with 4 hex bolts; any clue how heavy it is (minus the motor)?

Also does anyone know how tall the stand is? The Bolton website does't say, and I'm going to rig a simple temporary hoist as a backup in case the pieces are too heavy.

Sorry for the short notice, but it's an opportunity I'd be stupid not to jump on. I'm a lifelong DIY wood and metal worker, and have always wanted to explore machining. Looks like someone is smiling down on me.

At less than 700 lbs., it shouldn't be a problem. I used a hoist or PowerPull attached to a proverbial skyhook to move my Grizzly lathe of about the same weight. Removing the milling column and head and the chuck and tailstock would make it easier. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the carriage as well. Then you should have something two people can lift.

Your main concern is removing it from the site and storinging it safely. You can deal with getting it up on your stand at your leisure.

At less than 700 lbs., it shouldn't be a problem. I used a hoist or PowerPull attached to a proverbial skyhook to move my Grizzly lathe of about the same weight. Removing the milling column and head and the chuck and tailstock would make it easier. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the carriage as well. Then you should have something two people can lift.

Your main concern is removing it from the site and storinging it safely. You can deal with getting it up on your stand at your leisure.
Thanks for the comments. Disassembly (with 2 people) will be my first choice. I've got a backhoe back home, it makes an excellent (if overkill) hoist Flustered

Back