Moving into apartment and Sherline Equipment? Take or Sell

Buffalo Bob

Active User
Registered
We're moving from a house withj a large workshop to a two bedroom senior apartment. I know this is not an unusual situation. SHERLINE stuff takes little space and I am thinking of bringing it with. Lathe, mill, tools and boxes.

In case I don't need or use it I called our local SEnior Center that has a small workshop. They can't fit the woodworking tools people have donated so I won't do that.

I really hate to donate it to ARC or other thrift stores as they really won't understand what it is. Probably sell it as a toy for someone else to Ebay it. I have been to estate sales where the previous owner of nice tools couldn't keep them clean, and so badly rusted it made me cry. Unless your family has machinists or at least tool concious people, they have no clue. Look at the the antique pickers? Don't want that to happen either. Ditto 47 years of stuff that we mostly don't need. Just venting here. Our move decision occurred in 24 hours so no planning.

One thought my wife had is like her jewelry, take pix and write what they are, real costume, expensive or not, and rough value. So the grandkids don't play with something valuable and ruin it. And the kids will know what they can sell when they need the cash.

I am now thinking of a SHERLINE catalog sheet with part numbers and rough prices. And notes about how to protect the valuable testing or measuring tools from rust or damage. "Do Not Drop The Vice" and things like that. There is a chance most of our stuff will go at an Estate Auction which cab mean garage sale prices.

Anyway got me thinking here. It's hard to plan for the unknown but very hard at the last minute too! Just sayin'.......
BB

That's very unfortunate that your in that situation, if possible I think it's a good idea to take the sherline stuff, though it's not nice needing to thin down the tooling hopefully you can still get some enjoyment from a little shop setup in a spare room.
All the best.

Don B

Unless you need the money, save it. Sherline makes great tools especially for their size. If you can't use it oil it up and put it away. Someday you will need it again, and it's the kind of lathe you can setup on the kitchen table in 20 minutes.

If you sell it, one day you will regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you need the money, save it. Sherline makes great tools especially for their size. If you can't use it oil it up and put it away. Someday you will need it again, and it's the kind of lathe you can setup on the kitchen table in 20 minutes.

Sell it, one day you will regret it.

You can do a lot with a Taig/Sherline lathe and some tools. In an apartment. Make 3 silicone isolator pads to sit the lathe platform on if you are worried about sound travelling through your desk into the neighbour's apartment.

Gerrit

IMGW1108.jpg IMGW1109.jpg

If you don’t use it, you lose it! And you don’t want to do that! So please keep it!

Back