Moving machinery

Ignore the fat guy in the video. But here's what I am talking about. While it won't work for a 1thousand pound machine, it works well for a 250-300lb machine that is top heavy. Adaptations for larger machines would be easy, like cast iron wheels.Because there is mass lower than the lifting point, it is much more stable than trying to lift a machine from the bottom.

I to have moved several very big machines. A Bridgeport mill in the bed of a 3/4 ton 4x4 ,3foot off the ground. First i dug holes to back into ok now I'm about 18- 20" inches high . To very thick 12" wide boards hooked on bumper after moving tailgate then halfway down cinder blocks and boards to take any chance of breaking away. I used a chain and cumalong with a 4x4 blocked with the corner pockets. Pry bars and pipes 1" x3' .
By myself I lowered it down the ramp quite safely and easily. It can be done and safely , think it out do it right and stay away from the downside. Pipes and pry bars are your best investment. Im very glad you didn't get hurt your extremely LUCKY PLEASE DONT PRESS YOURS. Get the right equipment please . Casters aren't good for moving machines other then in the shop. You can't stop heavy rolling machines.

A handy device I made for moving machinery is a U shaped framework, a little wider than a Bridgeport base, made of 1/2 X 6 flat bar with stub axles on each side and 6" diameter iron wheels; with the wheels mounted, the bottom of the U frame is 1/2" off the floor' it is wonderful for moving mills, you jack up the machine on one end and block it up and slip the frame under it and find the balance point so the machine is a bit heavier on the end being pushed, one person can easily move a machine with it. A stevedore bar works nicely for lifting the end initially.

When I moved five years ago the moving company assured me they could move my lathe and mill safely and without damage. They showed up with equipment similar to these. They used wood blocking on each end, strapped the lifts to each end of the lathe and mill, then wheeled them into the moving van. I'm getting ready to move again in about a month and told the moving company to use these again.

30913911.jpg

987690A.jpg

I used solid round stock and laminated beams on the base of my 24,000lb Niles toolworks lathe, and a 34,000lb capacity forklift. Worked great.

My Hillman rollers are always sketchy. Almost crashed my surface grinder using them. When using rollers go slow and if possible have someone watch the opposite side of the machine.

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

Back