Moving machinery

I also recomend using anchor points and heavy duty ratchet strap to use as a brake and stabilizer. If the machine is getting away from you swipe the lever and it stops or slowes depending on how far you go.. Make sure everything is rated for the working load.

When I moved five years ago the moving company assured me they could move my lathe and mill safely and without damage. They showed up with equipment similar to these. They used wood blocking on each end, strapped the lifts to each end of the lathe and mill, then wheeled them into the moving van. I'm getting ready to move again in about a month and told the moving company to use these again.

View attachment 258317

View attachment 258318
Where in the heck can a person can find a pair of these?

I want to rearrange my shop and this would be perfect! Since I can't get a forklift in my garage.

Wonder if they will handle 2500 lbs. easily?

Sunbelt rents them. If I recall correctly they are rated for 6000 lbs. I picked up 4 of these off craigslist last year. I kept one pair and the second pair was sold off to a local piano repair guy. They're advertised as furniture movers and rated a bit lighter at 4000 lbs/pair. They lifted and moved this loaded tool box with about zero effort.

DSC03294 (Small).JPG

It's $73 a day to rent from my local Sunbelt store or $190 week. OR buy new for about $750 off of Amazon.

Wish I could get lucky and find a used set locally for say around $300.

Don't use dollies to move lathes with! Mount the lathe on a skid like two 2 x 8's the length of the lathe plus a little. And use pieces of pipe as rollers to roll the lathe around. The key to moving machinery around, keep the center of gravity as close to the ground as you can. Every time someone post them moving a lathe around on dollies, just make me cringe! Especially machinery skates!
Km
Looks like Global Industrial by the watermark.
But you want to rent them. Time to call around
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...ebCatKey=138&presentType=4?openTab=custReview
Where can i rent these in Pittsburgh area??

Km

Where can i rent these in Pittsburgh area??
Hunt down your nearest Sunbelt rental. Or just about any rental center that handles tools, moving equipment, etc. Google it, that's how I found out Sunbelt has the equipment.

When my Monarch 14C arrived years ago, we shoveled the shop full of snow and slid the machine in on a large steel
plate affixed to the bottom of the lathe. After we got it inside the building and the snow melted, I used pipe rollers for positioning.
It hasn't moved since...:grin:

Where in the heck can a person can find a pair of these?

I want to rearrange my shop and this would be perfect! Since I can't get a forklift in my garage.

Wonder if they will handle 2500 lbs. easily?

Some moving companies rent them. Ask about capacity ratings.

not really the same but it can show what is possible. I worked for a drilling company that drilled to study soil conditions or environmental concerns we had a trailer mounted rig that could come off the trailer than was a skid rig. Weight was around 7-8 thousand. We would use pipe rollers to move into position. This machine was rolled into more places like this. the rollers worked very good. The worst we ever had to do was to drill down through a dam in NC. 98 foot of concrete cored on an angle but the machine was put there only on rollers.

Back