[Shaper] Moving Newey (brook) Shaper Questions

Will45ACP

Registered
Registered
Hope this is the right place-moderators I apologize if I'm wrong. Also, please forgive my long winded-ness. I happen to have a few questions concerning moving and transporting a shaper and sure would appreciate any advice you gentleman should have. One of my dreams has come true and I am now the proud owner of a Brook 14" shaper. I have moved both my Bridgeport style mill and several different lathes, but never a shaper. I shall outline the plan as it stands:

The machine is located in a residential garage, and weighs about 2000lb. The owner reckons he can use rollers/lever and get it to the roll-up door. However, we still need to get it onto the deck of the F450. I figure a 1-ton or 1 1/2 ton truck with a picker should do the job. So I rent one and the fellow to operate it. We lock the table and ram (not sure how exactly) and use ratchet straps to hold it down, going over the table and across the rear of the machine, probably the base. To keep it from sliding, we can use either 1: my usual trick of bolting 2x2 blocks around the base or 2: go through holes in the base. Probably #2 method as the machine strikes me as being top-heavy. However, my hang-up is the middle part: where the heck should I lift from? I've seen a couple fellows run straps under the table and/or around the ram behind the head and under the rear of the base or another spot on the rear of the machine. But, I've seen fellows lift lathes by the chuck or headstock too! I hate bothering others but I don't want to cause damage to the machine or other folks who will be assisting. We also could use a come-along and ramps and slide the old girl on, but that darn flat-deck sits very, very high. And where does a guy tie-off to on the tool? Anyway, any help or advice would be gratefully received. As a bribe, I'll post pics as soon as I can!

Many thanks!

This is the way Cincinnati recommended picking a shaper. I've done it this way too on my little guy, and aside from being a bit nervous-making it works great. Just make sure your angles weight ratings on the sling are good. Note that you're not grabbing it by the ram itself, but rather by the main body casting that kind of flares out underneath the ram.

Waiting eagerly on pictures now!

-frank
cinci_shaper sling.JPG

Brookshaper$_27.JPG Brookshaper$_28.JPG

Frank,

Thank you for the image from Cincinnati, that is exactly what I was after. It's from a good source and backed up by experience! I figure 2x 3000lb rated slings ought to do, but I'm going to contact the rental company since the're the pro's (or oughta be) and I'm not. I'm hoping to pick her up sometime next week. Here's the pics from the seller (I apologize for the poor quality) but that's all I have for now. Hopefully it'll be enough to bide you over for a few days! BTW, perused the thread in which you outlined your machine. Good score! Cute little bugger.

Mr. Walton- Thank you. Have to add that I feel it is indeed going to be a joyful experience. My Colchester won't be lonely anymore (being the only English machine and all!). Shapers don't seem to be very common here in Alberta, so I feel lucky. Drooled lots over machines down in the States though. I've never worked with a shaper but fell in love with them as soon as I saw one in motion. I hope to get her home, cleaned, tested and adjusted before too many days. I'f i'm not careful it'll end up paying for itself! Making some T-nuts for the table will be the first project (after pics of course!). I'll do my level best to get good pictures throughout the process. And good videos Sir- I actually happened onto a couple while deciding whether or not to take the plunge into joining here. Glad I did-seems like an awesome group of people.

Aw poo-11pm here-time for dreams of shapers dancing thru my head

View attachment 140419 View attachment 140420Frank,
Thank you for the image from Cincinnati, that is exactly what I was after. It's from a good source and backed up by experience! I figure 2x 3000lb rated slings ought to do, but I'm going to contact the rental company since the're the pro's (or oughta be) and I'm not. I'm hoping to pick her up sometime next week. Here's the pics from the seller (I apologize for the poor quality) but that's all I have for now. Hopefully it'll be enough to bide you over for a few days! BTW, perused the thread in which you outlined your machine. Good score! Cute little bugger.

Mr. Walton- Thank you. Have to add that I feel it is indeed going to be a joyful experience. My Colchester won't be lonely anymore (being the only English machine and all!). Shapers don't seem to be very common here in Alberta, so I feel lucky. Drooled lots over machines down in the States though. I've never worked with a shaper but fell in love with them as soon as I saw one in motion. I hope to get her home, cleaned, tested and adjusted before too many days. I'f i'm not careful it'll end up paying for itself! Making some T-nuts for the table will be the first project (after pics of course!). I'll do my level best to get good pictures throughout the process. And good videos Sir- I actually happened onto a couple while deciding whether or not to take the plunge into joining here. Glad I did-seems like an awesome group of people.
Aw poo-11pm here-time for dreams of shapers dancing thru my head

Thank you Will for your kind words, i hope you have as much fun with your new shaper as i'm having with mine!
a 14" shaper is a very nice size to have, it can really move some metal!
i can't wait to see it make some chips! :grin:

It may be cheaper to rent a tilt back trailer or drop deck trailer (I used Sunbelt at Lowes) than to have to hire someone to put the shaper on the bed of your truck and then you still have to safely remove it.
I moved my 16" G&E shaper by lifting it up and lag bolting it to some 4x4 skids. The seller had use of 2 forklifts. The smaller one wouldn't even attempt to lift the shaper, the bigger one did the job but under protest. Unloading into my garage was easy using a pallet jack. I used a come-a-long as a safety to keep control of the shaper coming off the tilt of the trailer but it was not needed.
Shaper.JPG
I'd love to have your vise! Good luck with your move, stay safe

Mike

Mr. Walton,

Me too!

Mike,

Thank you for the pic and very much for the description of the process you used. Good job strapping her down too. I'll shop around and see what quotes I get.

Sorry to be brief Gentleman-Gotta Run

Back