Moving to a rental soon

JStarks

Registered
Registered
So the wife had to take a job out of state, we rented a place this week, she has to be moved by December, I am finishing my contract and wont move till July of 2019. The garage at the rental is plenty big enough to accomadate evergthing, but the floor has a 6 defree slope. Since its a rental I won’t be abpe to alter anything permanently. I need to level my motorcycle lift, 2 rolling work benches that hold my mini lathe, grinder, machinist tool box stock under 48 inches and my G0463 bench top mill. As well as a 3 box tool chest and 50 gallon compresser. Has anyone had to deal with that here and what was the solution? I can’t drive anchors or cut and pour pier footings. I feel my only solution is going to be a terraced board walk around the perimeter. Ive owned a home for sonlong now that renting is going to blow.

Just about everything I own in the garage has adjustable casters. Great for moving to clean behind or underneath. The only pieces that aren’t on wheels but leveling feet is my Bridgeport, lathes, and surface grinder.
Another advantage is your stuff will be on wheels to help with moving. Win win!

My garage shop is on a grade as well. Lathes and stuff are on levelers, and the rest is on locking casters. Shop bench is just on the slope as well. as my garage is a bit small, I actually have a lot of my stuff lined up in one corner and have to move stuff around to get to what I need from band saws to grinders etc. Thus the wheels are great role them out setup do the work and put them back.

Sounds like most of your machining equipment is of the bench top variety. That being the case and if your rolling work benches are sturdy enough, it may make sense to stabilize the benches and level the machines on top of them. Of course, that only makes sense if the benches will be relatively stationary. Otherwise, you'll be re-leveling every time you move the benches. Even that may not be the end of the world, however. I built two very heavy duty rolling work benches that had bench top lathes on them that would be moved from time to time. Admittedly, I wasn't dealing with a 6 degree slope, but only rarely are floors 'totally' level, and I had no problems with the machines being true.

Also, it seems to me that a greater challenge would be 'smoothness' as opposed to 'slope'. Again, if your benches are relatively stationary, a 'smooth slope' may not pose that significant of a problem.

Regards,
Terry

Simple shims...

Place bench then Jack up and place plywood under short legs...done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ehhh 6 degrees is a lot of leveling for the feet on my mill, plus the rolliing benches are mobile work station cabinets, i somehow doubt drawers and doors are going to be happy on that kind of grade. Im working on a couple of ideas now.

I would only level the stuff that really needs it. The tool boxes, air compressor, tables dont have to be level.

I would only level the stuff that really needs it. The tool boxes, air compressor, tables dont have to be level.

OCD... I’m also ADHD and have a few other mental health issues. My stuff has to be level. My wife does not fold or put my laundry away. I have a very specific fold pattern and order they belong in when they go into the drawer.

Sounds like most of your machining equipment is of the bench top variety. That being the case and if your rolling work benches are sturdy enough, it may make sense to stabilize the benches and level the machines on top of them. Of course, that only makes sense if the benches will be relatively stationary. Otherwise, you'll be re-leveling every time you move the benches. Even that may not be the end of the world, however. I built two very heavy duty rolling work benches that had bench top lathes on them that would be moved from time to time. Admittedly, I wasn't dealing with a 6 degree slope, but only rarely are floors 'totally' level, and I had no problems with the machines being true.

Also, it seems to me that a greater challenge would be 'smoothness' as opposed to 'slope'. Again, if your benches are relatively stationary, a 'smooth slope' may not pose that significant of a problem.

Regards,
Terry
Once they go into place they are stationary.

The bike lift is the biggie though. The scissor action has one set of legs rolling fore and aft. Dont want a 965lb touring bike 4 feet in the air if it aint stable.

Would it be out of the question to level the floor, if the landlord is ok just concrete it up and float it off. otherwise build a false floor out of timber and get it level. How long are you going to be there?

Back