Moving to a rental soon

OCD... I’m also ADHD and have a few other mental health issues. My stuff has to be level. My wife does not fold or put my laundry away. I have a very specific fold pattern and order they belong in when they go into the drawer.
Um, are we related? Didn't know I had any relatives in OK. No time to chat. Gotta go sort my sock drawer.

The bike lift is the biggie though. The scissor action has one set of legs rolling fore and aft. Dont want a 965lb touring bike 4 feet in the air if it aint stable.
That part of your shop is an entirely different matter. I have a lift in my shop and was concerned about stability (OCD overkill, I know). The base plate was half-inch steel, so I butt-jointed and welded larger pieces of half-inch plate to increase the footprint and bolt pattern. In retrospect, that almost certainly wasn't necessary, but I never worry about getting under a car/truck/tractor/piece of equipment.

Again, in my case, 'leveling' wasn't an issue. I wonder if you could mill some plate steel at an angle to fit under your lift's base plates that would orient it at vertical to the floor? Perhaps you could then weld them to larger pieces of plate like I did to increase the footprint; maybe add some gussets or bracing to the uprights; and weld bolts to match the stud pattern on your lift? That might help with the restriction on no driven floor anchors. Probably not on the radar screen, but an added advantage may be that the lift also becomes mobile.

I have no idea of the dimensions of your lift, but probably the safest option would be to get a full-size sheet of 1/2" or thicker plate steel, weld some studs to it, and mount the lift onto that one solid piece. My local source for steel told me some time back that cold rolled weighs 40.8 lbs. per 1"x12"x12". According to that formula 1/2" thick 4x8 weighs 652.8 lbs. My main (stationary) work bench has a top made of that with legs and bracing made of 4x4 square tubing with 1/4" wall, plus a 1/8" thick shelf. I did the math some time back, and the whole contraption weighs around 900 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to mount a lift onto it and put a motorcycle on it.

The biggest challenge for you would be getting it into the garage. (I had to weld homemade casters onto mine in order to move it to another part of my shop, then cut the casters off of it. It's mighty sturdy.) But the way I'm visualizing it, you could actually do the build on site. If that's not big enough, it's my understanding that you can get cold rolled in 5' x 10' sheets. That would weigh in at over 1,000 lbs.

Cold rolled isn't cheap these days, but if you buy it, you own it. If a move into your own home is in your future, you can always re-purpose the steel.

Good luck.

Regards,
Terry

Would it be out of the question to level the floor, if the landlord is ok just concrete it up and float it off. otherwise build a false floor out of timber and get it level. How long are you going to be there?

Out of the question

At least one year. In reality will only be there about 4 months before the first year lease is up I really wanted to find a place just over the border in Wisconsin but she did not feel comfortable dealing with winter and commuting by herself. Maybe next year we’ll get over the border moving to Illinois is going to cause me some serious issues with parts of my firearms colkection.

Out of the question

At least one year. In reality will only be there about 4 months before the first year lease is up I really wanted to find a place just over the border in Wisconsin but she did not feel comfortable dealing with winter and commuting by herself. Maybe next year we’ll get over the border moving to Illinois is going to cause me some serious issues with parts of my firearms colkection.
Illinois really doesn't have any better of a winter than Wisconsin. They SUCK!!! And so do the roads. Unless you go south at least Champaine /Urbana. Guns yeah full autos that's a no no. Unless you buy off the street than just go to the east side they'll have whatever you want. :confusion:

I've had to deal with something similar, and i went with at simplest and cheapest way, i bought solid concrete blocks used in gardens to level my benches and wedged all my equipment one to another so they can't roll away i try using wood on some parts of the slope but it rotted away in few months so i'll won't recommend using wood.

Illinois really doesn't have any better of a winter than Wisconsin. They SUCK!!! And so do the roads. Unless you go south at least Champaine /Urbana. Guns yeah full autos that's a no no. Unless you buy off the street than just go to the east side they'll have whatever you want. :confusion:

Sbr’s and suppressors. I don’t have the cash to afford anything I want with a giggle switch
For now I’m adding someone to my trust who can keep them in OK. The roads in lake county IL are way better than Oklahoma.

I've had to deal with something similar, and i went with at simplest and cheapest way, i bought solid concrete blocks used in gardens to level my benches and wedged all my equipment one to another so they can't roll away i try using wood on some parts of the slope but it rotted away in few months so i'll won't recommend using wood.

Thanks, thats what i was looking for.

Back