Mr. Pete - Tubalcain is selling off his goodies.

I was kidding about changing my eBay handle from 'bghansen' to 'mrpete22', but there was a point. I used to collect Erector sets and one of the preeminent collectors was Bill Bean (google Bill Bean Erector set). Bill had the million dollar collection and decided to sell off some stuff on eBay. His handle is "ERECTRBEAN". Someone else started selling Erector sets under the name "ERECTRBARN" and did pretty well playing off from Bill's notoriety.

I bought a couple of things from Bill so I could say "I have a Bill Bean" set. Cost was over market and frankly because Bill owned the set didn't make it any more valuable. I had some much nicer stuff that was picked up for a lot less. But I enjoyed his articles in TCA, ACGHS and Greenberg's Guide.

Mr. Pete's Starrett 829 small hole gauge set is nice and is currently at $90 with 5 days to go. There are currently two equally nice Starrett 829 gauges on eBay for $50 Buy It Now. I have the same set and picked them up for around $25, but with a dirty case. Going rate appears to be around $30-$40 as the $50 sets and ones cheaper than that haven't sold.

So don't be surprised if someone shows up on eBay as seller "Mrpete22" or "Mrpeet2", etc. and starts selling tools. They wouldn't be scamming anyone, but would be playing off Lyle's rep.

Again, kudos to him for his well-deserved following, though I wish at times he'd put out two versions of each video. The elongated "entertainment" version that runs 30 minutes and the "to the point" one that runs 5.

I'm sure he'll be a charter member of the Machinist's Hall of Fame if one ever comes into being.

Bruce

Aah well then it is not worth looking. Thanks anyway
Give me a minute, I just got home...
Being in South Africa you're going to need a Proxy Server or VPN
If that's not possible, one thing to try is download and install the TOR Browser. (( https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en ))
It's code is based on Mozilla Firefox. It will use proxies around the world.
After you fire it up and if it attaches to one that is in Europe you should be able to get to the US eBay site.

I believe that I met him at an auction down around his area back in the late '90s.
At least that what I'm telling myself after seeing his video of touring Abom's shop. Something about him was very familiar.
I had my young boys with me at the auction and the gent that was present was rather grand-fatherly and Industrial Arts instructor-ish and talked with my kids at length about 'getting into shop class' when they were old enough and the reasons why.

Back