MSC 951735 Lathe, 13x40. Opinions?

OK. I decided to pass on that MSC lathe and look for something beefier.
Here is the story with some my history. About 40 years ago I worked as a lathe man apprentice in some factory in USSR for one year. My first and only lathe in my life was beefy industrial lathe, 1K62, like one bellow.
tokarno-vintoreznyy-stanok-1k62-foto.jpg

After that my professional road dramatically changed and I never returned to metal machining ... until now! Well, I saw several little lathes (like 7x14 and similar) alive, that is it. Once I decided to buy machinery for myself, I checked the lathes from papares and pictures, but never in person. So, 13x40 sounded as serious good sized machine. When I went to check the lathe in subject I was surprised how not big it was in person, and how skinny it was. Now, I feel how I was spoiled by machine I had in my young years and just can not go (mentaly) for skinny lathe.
My search is going to continue, but likely I will focus ... though you know on what ;-)

Some info about that Russian lathe from http://www.lathes.co.uk/stankoimport/
As an example of the machine's ability under test, one at the works of Broomfield Engineering in Folly Hall, Huddersfield, was observed reducing a 15/8" diameter mild-steel bar down to 1/4" in one pass using a tungsten-carbide tipped tool at 1000 r.p.m. with a feed rate of 0.006" per rev. Other users report that drilling a 50 mm (2-inch) hole in one pass is easily accomplished
Drive came from a 13.5 h.p., 1500 r.p.m. motor mounted inside the headstock-end plinth and then by five V-belts to the all-geared headstock, the drive passing through a sliding clutch. 24 forward speeds were available, with 12 in reverse, the range being from 12.5 to 2000 r.p.m.

Umnik: “When I went to check the lathe in subject I was surprised how not big it was in person, and how skinny it was. Now, I feel I was spoiled by machine I had in my young years and just can not go (mentaly) for skinny lathe.”

I agree...that is an impressive lathe you referenced. I can’t see being happy with less than at least a 2000 pound lathe.
It is so nice to mess around with steel on the Takisawa. If it’s a hobby, it has to be fun, right?

Winegrower,
absolutely agree with you and I am buying to have fun chipping steel.
BTW, couple days ago I found about Takisawa and from what I gathered so far I want one of them in my shop. So far I like japanese lathes, though hard to find.

Umnik, they're somewhat rare, but there's almost always at least one available in the Bay Area or eBay. Condition is hard to tell, but they are pretty dang bullet proof, from my experience. Hope you can find one you like.

As proof, here's one from this morning. $3500 ask.

1566673452088.png

I'm heading south in 3 weeks if you need it brought home .

Back