Msc/enco Worried?

Yes. I am sure that Enco has known for a long time that we are sharing discount codes. The solution, if they wanted to stop it, was to tie codes to account numbers like some other businesses do, or reduce the number of codes available. Destroying a user base is not the brightest idea.

That all nice in theory, but since this is what i do for a living (senior back-end web developer), I can tell you most of the time it's not as easy/cheap as everyone thinks it is.

I've worked on several projects that had the executives, and sales/marketing people all giddy. The enthusiasm quickly evaporated when the learn it will require $150k worth of new hardware, and $500k worth of new support staff (the cost that never goes away). if you want to hear a pin drop in a meeting full of executives, tell them we need a new data center first, because the current one is at capacity.

It would not surprise me at all, to learn it cost over a million a year to keep Enco's website up and running.

This is a general web/tech issue though, as very few people seem to truly understand how costs can sky rocket when you want redundancy, scalability, & performance all in one.

Destroying a user base is not the brightest idea.
if the options are go out of business, or get rid of the little guys, i know what i would choose,

I will have to confess that I usually waited for a 25% off and/or free shipping to place an order with Enco. One of the problems with virtually continuous offers like those is that they lose their effectiveness. Knowing that another was just around the corner, there was virtually no incentive to order at full price.

The free shipping with no minimum order, in particular, is economically devastating. Ordering a $7 tool with free shipping has to be a business loss. There is no incentive to build an appreciable order if you know that you can order again in five minutes with no additional cost.

However, I received an e-mail offer from MSC for up to 35% off/free shipping, no minimum last week. I took advantage of it to order a part that I had missed on the last order to Enco. The discount was actually 36% and, although it took a call to MSC, the shipping was free. With that, I will not write MSC off just yet.

Aug 27 is Enco's last day, well actually it was a month or so ago, but officially its 27th according to their sale flyer.

MSC's prices are ridiculous. As far as I know the only ways to get better pricing is to have a business account or buy in quantity.

Well I'm not sure why but a CS rep called me recently and pretty much walked me thru setting up my online account. (I am a hobbyist not a business account and I pay with my CC . ). Told me once I log in the prices will reflect my discount. So here is a sample of pricing I'm seeing on some common items... Now the bad part is I never had to pay tax or shipping with enco. That negates much savings. Luckily there is a retail branch 2 blocks from my work so I can pick up on lunch hr and save shipping.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1478021194.794746.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1478021261.296936.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1478021359.371394.jpg

Take a look at ZORO.com They are the wholesale side of Grainger.

t

I just got a sale cat from MSC, the only thing I saw was that free ship on order over $25, don't know if it would apply to web purchases also.

Enco was reasonable with lightning fast shipping. McMaster has no minimum, prices are fair to high, shipping time average. EBay is a crap shoot. The flea market could be a gold mine. I find doubles and triples in my garage ALL THE TIME!

So chips, when can we all expect a "sales flyer" from you in our email inboxes? :)
....and you'll offer free shipping right?
-brino

Back