MT Sleeve?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sorry for so many questions,guys I am kinda tooling up for my 6 position hex turret.I have live center,drill chuck that has a #3MT.Is there a sleeve that fit the MT and go into 1”straight hole?If there is what are called?Maybe a link to this sleeve would be helpful.Thinks guys for any direction

Do all the positions on the hex turret have 1" straight holes? I would consider modifying some existing adapters- if you can find #3 to #4 size you could turn down the outside to 1". You would need to make a #3 arbor to hold them for turning
Mark
ps Seems like this should be an available accessory, but I'm not that familiar with turret tooling

Last edited:
Thanks Mark,I'm not either.I was wanting the sleeve cause I also have a tail stock that takes the #3 MT so I was kinda wanting the drill chuck and live center to do double duty.I have few drill chucks so was wanting that sleeve for each one,I did watch You tube where guy had turn MT into a straight shaft.I forgot yes all six is a 1" hole

Attachments

• stop.jpg
    stop.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 20
Straight sleeves are commonly available, that is what turret lathes commonly use to mount MT tools. Most any industrial tool supplier would offer them.

That's what I thought too, but I couldn't find any- lots of morse to R-8 and morse to jacobs

When searching, call it a MT SOCKET. MSC has them, but you may have to turn down the OD, as the standard one for MT3 seems to by 1.250 dia. Turning down to 1" may leave it thin at the end, but it does not need to be turned for the whole length, some that they offer are made that way.

Aha! that's the ticket. I thought about the thin end also, you'd want to stop short to leave a little extra meat at the big end
M

The sleeves used to be commonly available.
Times sure have changed...
Ideally, a turret should have blank sleeves inserted in the stations and bored using the lathe spindle to assure concentricity especially when adapting a turret to a machine.

Guys I finally got around to getting a sleeve/reducer for my lathe but! Its a 1 1/4 OD/MT#3 which is great I think.The OD that I need is 1" to fit the turret but I receive info that I could take an 1 1/4 sleeve turn it down to 1" which then all my #3 MT drill chucks and live center with work.OK here's my problem,taking a few passes I notice that about first 1/2 all is good then it seems that I hit the harden area or harder area plus an interrupting cut and after the interrupting cut its seems its harder.Well my question is,do I have the right carbide cutting insert for turning down this harden sleeve?If not could someone direct me to what I need to order?This is an AXA tool holder and tooling set that I pick up from Shars and the insert is what came with it.I am lubing the part,hand feeding slowly at a low rpm setting.Thanks for any adviceHard1.jpgHard2.jpg

Last edited:
You likely need more RPM as carbide likes it fast. It is kind of counterintuitive by carbide will often give a better finish when turned faster, cutting deeper and with faster feed.

Back