MT tool post holder

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What is the proper procedure for dialing in an MT drill holder on the tool post Seems to have a few answers :)

Indicate the face true while tightened , then indicate the tapered bore true . :)

Edit . Do this with an indicator mounted in your chuck Mike .

Say what,,,,? Can you say that slower? :)

:faint:, OK, I guess. LOL

The face of the holder has to be parallel to the chuck . Think about tramming a mill . After it is parallel , you then dial in bore on centerline of the chuck .

I'm starting to see a lot of indicating.

It's not really hard or time consuming . 2 operations .

1- make sure the drill is parallel to the machine ways ( this will be parallel to the chuck as well )

2- mount an indicator on a bar in your chuck . Set height and cross slide to bring bore in .

3- sit back , throw the power feed on and enjoy a beverage ( if the machine is big enough )

I'll believe it when I try it :cautious:

Lots of shortcuts to get close . Put a mag base on your ways , run it across the face of the toolholder to get 0-0 at each end , put a 1" or so bar in chuck and eyeball it close to the tapered bore . You'll get it within .010 or so , then just dial it in .

Use your EBI, you have one. Mount the MT holder, then look down your spindle bore, adjust until it's looks good. ;) (Eye Ball Indicator, only one works best)

(just joking of course, I'm bored)

Reactions: Z2V
Back