MT tool post holder

:D That's a long walk son, my access is blocked due to space, but I can walk around to check it....

You guys have a way of complicating an easy task! Insert a drill chuck in the MT holder, and with a center drill or spotting drill approach the rotating workpiece with the drill, and by eye, center the tool on the center of the part, both vertically and horizontally and take a little peck at the part, it is quite easy to find center without indicating; this is the way I learned to do it over 50 years ago. It goes without saying that the holder needs to be aligned with the center line of the lathe, this I do by placing the holder tightly against the face of the chuck, while tightening the tool post to the compound rest. Another way to semi align the holder is to insert a tool into the taper that has a good center drilled hole in it's small end and running the tailstock center up to it, noting and correcting vertical and horizontal misalignment and correcting for it; this can get you quite close, if the holder is in good alignment with the lathe axis, then going to the first method for possible final adjustment.

Thank you, I had thought about using a center in the tail stock, and getting it close, but your way makes more sense:)

The trouble with all of this is that lathes and tool posts seem to be seldom in perfect alignment, and tools such as long drills are often not perfectly straight, nor held perfectly true by drill chucks or burred taper sleeves so if you get the center or spotting drill near perfectly centered, the subsequent drill may not hit the spot perfectly centered, but you can see the drill deflect when it hits the spot; then is the time to make small corrections to get it to cut on both flutes without deflection, same goes with reamers, they may not hit the drilled or bored hole perfectly, and if allowed to remain off center, will likely make an oversized hole, again time for a mid course correction, it's like "flying by the seat of your pants" ---

I have observed that phenomenon :D

Back