MT2 test bar review

OK - I know it is just a cultural difference, but a search for what exactly is a "LOO" spindle yields lots of references to Clausing lathes, and various chucks, but no definition. Is that L-type 00 or something?

Forgive the stupid question. It is just that to Brits, "LOO" means something else well out of context!

OK - I know it is just a cultural difference, but a search for what exactly is a "LOO" spindle yields lots of references to Clausing lathes, and various chucks, but no definition. Is that L-type 00 or something?

Forgive the stupid question. It is just that to Brits, "LOO" means something else well out of context!

Before the advent of the "D" series of spindle mounting there was the "L" series.

L0069.8503 3/4-6 UNS50.80014.2889.525x38.1
L082.5504 1-2/-660.32515.8759.525x44.45
L1104.7756-6 UNS73.02519.05015.875x60.32
L2133.3507 3/4-5 UNS85.72525.40019.05x73.02
L3165.10010 3/8-4 UNS94.42528.57525.4x82.55
Data copied from here: https://www.smalltools.com/lathe-spindle-nose-identification-chart/

Unfortunately most of the L series tooling is hard to find and or expensive in comparison and because the spindle hole is so large it requires a very unusual MT4.5 plug to hold a dead center, or centre as you would say.

And to think, until just now I had never ever in my life heard or seen mention of an 'MT4.5' - Learn something new everyday...

Re: Your picture of the Dykem ink in post #1. It looks like substantial contact both at the front and the back of the taper. I know many tapers on the end of tooling have a deliberate void zone, undercut in the middle, forcing some taper contact at front and back, so it won't rock, but I am pretty sure this trick is done to the tool shank only, not anywhere up a spindle.

The spindle on my lathe is MT6 and has a whopping great void/swarf trap in the middle. Engagement is 30mm at front and 25mm at rear and it takes a good whoolop on a 2" diameter hunk of wood throught the spindle to loosen it. MT 6 sleeve is smooth ground.

@mattthemuppet2: Umm.. Oh dear.

I don't follow

Re: Your picture of the Dykem ink in post #1. It looks like substantial contact both at the front and the back of the taper. I know many tapers on the end of tooling have a deliberate void zone, undercut in the middle, forcing some taper contact at front and back, so it won't rock, but I am pretty sure this trick is done to the tool shank only, not anywhere up a spindle.

Were you expecting a pretty much complete Dykem removal?

no void zone that I can detect. The Dykem removal in the picture corresponded to some small burrs by matching the removal zone to the spindle using a depth mike. Both burrs looked to be caused by a previous owner hammering stock into the spindle taper. Once the burrs were knocked down (very carefully I might add) the Dykem removal was move evenly spread over the length of the taper. Given that the removal of the burrs also corresponded with an improvement in radial run out of the test bar from ~0.0015 at the spindle nose to less than one 0.0005 division on my DTI suggests I was on the right track.

Back