MT3 Reamer

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi,

I'm looking for an MT3 reamer, probably both roughing and finishing as I need to enlarge the tailstock taper on my lathe.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

I'm looking for an MT3 reamer, probably both roughing and finishing as I need to enlarge the tailstock taper on my lathe.

Thanks,

John

Hey John,
I'm curious what you mean by "enlarge"? Are you going from MT2 to MT3 or just cleaning up an MT3?

PS: a pair of roughing + finishing (Chinese, no doubt) are available on eBay for well under $40 delivered.

Yes, MT2 to MT3.

I've looked at the Chinese ones but will probably drop the extra money for a Russian tool if I buy.

Just make sure that the tail stock spindle isn't hardened. I went to just clean up the taper on my Hardinge and the spindle was too hard for the reamer to cut. If a file will cut it a reamer also will.

Just make sure that the tail stock spindle isn't hardened. I went to just clean up the taper on my Hardinge and the spindle was too hard for the reamer to cut. If a file will cut it a reamer also will.
what model and year is yours? I have to clean mine up since it spun a few chucks in its 80 years of use.

I have a MT3 reamer you can borrow. Send me a pm if you are interested and we can work out details

I did a clean-up on my Atlas spindle and tailstock tapers with Russian reamers. The spindle and tailstock material was very hard, and it was rough on the reamers to simply clean the tapers up. It worked great, but any more than a micro clean-up would have destroyed the reamers. You might need to anneal.

Yes, MT2 to MT3.

I've looked at the Chinese ones but will probably drop the extra money for a Russian tool if I buy.
That's what I went with. They worked good as the tapers on both my head and tailstock were rough and didn't hold good. But after they looked and held good. I don't think my stuff was hardened as the reamers didn't seem to be in distress. I thought it was a good investment even though I've not had to retouch either since.

I have a MT3 reamer you can borrow. Send me a pm if you are interested and we can work out details
I'll check the hardness on mine and get back with you. If it's too hard I don't want to mess up anybody else's tool.

John

Back