MT3 Reamer

I've got a little tiny knick inside my TS. I tried a little high grit paper to just touch it but to no avail. The machine is almost new. Also thought about the reamer but man I don't want to mess it up.

Bearden P The Hardinge I have is a HLV -H . Year is around 1986 just guessing . The tail stock is a number 2 Morse taper. The reamer took out the burrs ,but the spindle was too hard for the reader to really cut. I was happy to remove the burrs so all is well. If you would like to use the reamer your welcome to .. Drop me a pm and we can discuss it there.

I did a clean-up on my Atlas spindle and tailstock tapers with Russian reamers. The spindle and tailstock material was very hard, and it was rough on the reamers to simply clean the tapers up. It worked great, but any more than a micro clean-up would have destroyed the reamers. You might need to anneal.
I did the same thing with the spindle bore on my Atlas 10F several years ago. Ground down the high spots with a Dremel, then followed with roughing and finishing import reamers. I did the reaming freehand without using the tailstock to hold the reamers. It took a long time, but eventually got there.

John: If you're in CA now, or want them sent there, I might be the closest to you postage-wise. Let me know if you want to borrow the reamers. Bill

Spindle Gouges.JPG
DSC_0046_00349_00358_00367.JPG

I did the same thing with the spindle bore on my Atlas 10F several years ago. Ground down the high spots with a Dremel, then followed with roughing and finishing import reamers. I did the reaming freehand without using the tailstock to hold the reamers. It took a long time, but eventually got there.

John: If you're in CA now, or want them sent there, I might be the closest to you postage-wise. Let me know if you want to borrow the reamers. Bill

View attachment 377749View attachment 377750
I have one coming but will let you know if it doesn't work out, USPS flat rate really makes this kind of stuff easy. If anyone needs "single use" tools like this I think we should really take advantage of this forum. Everyone I've met on here is definitely the sort I'd lend a tool to....

I will have some materials to trade soon as well :encourage:

John

@matthewsx

I'd be interested in knowing how you go about the project and how it turns out. I think you should start a project thread or put the story in the POTD thread. I don't think I've ever read about someone changing the TS taper.

Good luck.

My 1228 did not have a tang receiver, so it spun a couple of used MT drills. I have a USA set of 1-5 reamers from Ebay that still look nice if someone would like to use what ever size.

Thank you @seasicksteve I finally got it done....

Had to order an MT4.5 adapter sleeve from Grizzly and had some time today so I enlarged my tailstock taper to MT3

Tailstock_MT3-center.jpeg

Tailstock_MT3-center2.jpeg

MT3Reamer.jpg

bookReam.jpeg

I'll put the reamer in the mail ASAP

Thank you,

John

@Nutfarmer @matthewsx @pontiac428

I really feel that it is important that I dispel this popular myth: Tail stocks are NEVER hardened. The odd time in old lathes where the barrel were cast iron there may have been an inclusion or 2, but that's for lathes around WW1 era.

I have rebuilt all kinds of lathes from all kinds of eras and done extensive research on this, and it just has never happened. If you think about it for a minute, a lot of dead centres are hardened completely along the length. if the tailstock were hardened there would be no grab at all.

I'm really sorry if one or more of you has been taught this old saw, but every machine rebuilder I have asked has also confirmed that none are hard.

Back