[Newbie] MT3 vs R8

I'll take my MT3 mounted drill chuck with me tomorrow and see if it fits. I do know what Tormach makes an MT3 adapter to their tooling system and MT3 ER-n collet chucks are easy to find.

I'll take my MT3 mounted drill chuck with me tomorrow and see if it fits. I do know what Tormach makes an MT3 adapter to their tooling system and MT3 ER-n collet chucks are easy to find.
True. But more and more I'm using tool holders instead of collets when using my big mills and fly cutter. They don't suck down into the work.

Do they make MT3 tool holders? Obviously I'm ignorant.

I think someone mentioned it but it seems like MT spindles are more common in Europe. I looked at a RF-45 locally when I was mill searching & it was MT3. There were other reasons why I passed on it but I didn't want a MT spindle.

Not that I think they are bad. Stefan Gotteswinter's RF-45 is MT3 & look what he does. R8 is more common in the US which means tooling is easier to find new & used as well as more options. MT tooling & collets come in both imperial & metric threads. Not a big deal to make another drawbar & swap drawbars when needed. I just felt it was easier to stick to R8.

Oh BTW, if you do get that RF-40 with a MT3 spinlde, you're gonna have to change your SN to DavidMT3! :D

That is unless you drive an Audi R8, then in that case.... excellent.gif

Oh BTW, if you do get that RF-40 with a MT3 spinlde, you're gonna have to change your SN to DavidMT3! :D

That is unless you drive an Audi R8, then in that case.... View attachment 313764
Or buy a tractor.
8FD65C3E-3DC0-4CC3-AC36-C7F83D869BC6.jpg

True. But more and more I'm using tool holders instead of collets when using my big mills and fly cutter. They don't suck down into the work.

Do they make MT3 tool holders? Obviously I'm ignorant.

I’m not sure actually. I need to do more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on guys. Debating MT3 verses R8 is just splitting hairs for the sake of argument. For all practical purposes at the end of the day there isn't going to be any difference between the two.

When I was in your position just starting out and not having a couple of tons of money to spend I decided on ER collets because I could use them on my lathe and on my mill/drill. R8 can only be used on the mill. You will also need a collet system for the lathe. By the time you are done you will have spent twice the amount of $$$ or more and not gained anything over ER collets. I also think that ER collets are way simpler to use then R8. With R8 you have to loosen a drawbar and pound on it to free the collet. Then screw on the new R8 collet and tighten everything back up. I have to stand on a stool to deal with the drawbar. With an ER to R8 adapter or MT3 adapter for that matter once you have the adapter in your are done with the drawbar. I have never touched the drawbar after the adapter was installed. Changing tooling with ER collets is a breeze. Takes no time at all. Buy metric ER collets because there are no gaps in coverage. Imperial ER collets have gaps.

Davidr8 the RF40 will be a way better machine then the RF30. If it is in you budget buy it and get on to making chips.

Come on guys. Debating MT3 verses R8 is just splitting hairs for the sake of argument. For all practical purposes at the end of the day there isn't going to be any difference between the two.

When I was in your position just starting out and not having a couple of tons of money to spend I decided on ER collets because I could use them on my lathe and on my mill/drill. R8 can only be used on the mill. You will also need a collet system for the lathe. By the time you are done you will have spent twice the amount of $$$ or more and not gained anything over ER collets. I also think that ER collets are way simpler to use then R8. With R8 you have to loosen a drawbar and pound on it to free the collet. Then screw on the new R8 collet and tighten everything back up. I have to stand on a stool to deal with the drawbar. With an ER to R8 adapter or MT3 adapter for that matter once you have the adapter in your are done with the drawbar. I have never touched the drawbar after the adapter was installed. Changing tooling with ER collets is a breeze. Takes no time at all. Buy metric ER collets because there are no gaps in coverage. Imperial ER collets have gaps.

Davidr8 the RF40 will be a way better machine then the RF30. If it is in you budget buy it and get on to making chips.

Interesting I thought the draw bar pounding was limited to the morse taper.

The ER colects are handy , I've got an ER32 , I'm tempted to go down one or two sizes though for small stuff the large nut can be annoying.

I Didn't know the imperial ER collets had gaps.

Back