MT4 tooling, question on shelving

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am building a shelf like others have done for their tooling mounted on the rear splash/chip shield. I have looked for grommets but they tend to not be a size that will work for everything, such as a dead center or drill chuck in the MT4 size that my 1440GS utilizes.

I haven’t found any “rope” like material that I can cut to length and then put in as a grommet. The MT4 for the drill chuck is 1-1/4” diameter which would be fine, but that only works because the back of the chuck is much larger.

Two questions.....

1. Anyone know where I can find some rope like material for a shelf that is1/8” thick?

2. Since the shelf is aluminum, can I get away with not using any grommet type material around the hole and just have it be the MT4 tools sitting in bare aluminum, 6061-T6

Thank you in advance....Herb

I've been searching for pictures of what people are doing as well. Tagging into this thread to see what I can learn!

Cut a hole and install on the inside. Works great. Cut length carefully and you might not notice the seam.

Pick the right size for the thickness of sheet metal you have

U-channel guard/molding comes to mind. They make it rubber & plastic. Can also find similar stuff at auto parts stores, sold/used as door edge guards. Some of the automotive ones come with adhesive in the channel. I used some for the edges on my tool cart.

I used rubber u-channel on my truck when I installed an oil cooler.

Thanks.....I looked on McMaster but didn’t call them u channels......found some that might work. What ever I pick I will get it to stay put with automotive trim adhesive. Couple of good candidates. This is the one I will try.....

I think they're also called edge grommets or edge guards. I hate when products have multiple different names, makes it hard to find sometimes!

Ugh...minimum buy was 10 ft......

I larger holes I've used garden hose, or look at door trim at Home Depot, buy 50 feet of either for less than what some official grommets cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back