Mule look alike

Just thought of something that may be a problem. If I spin the input to the transaxle backwards the charge pump that feeds the system will be running backwards. Anyone have any experience with the internals of these things?

Greg

That's the same model we had except that we had a manual transmission model. As far as I can remember, it was driven from the shaft end to a clutch and then to the gear box. You might have to get a different motor for it. That's a fly in the ointment!
What happens if you put the pull start towards the inside?

I had some experience with hydro static drives when I built concrete flat-cutting machines in the early 80s (for streets, airports). They were designed to run in one direction only. They did have a reversing feature that changed the valving internally. They use a viscous fluid (silicon?) to create the friction needed to smoothly turn the driven output shaft. Once engaged, they have the drive power of a small tank. We had our geared for about 4mph (max cutting speed for the concrete) driven by a 35HP or 65hp Wisconsin V-4s @ 1600RPM. . We also built a hot rod Chevy V-6/140hp model that ran through a Muncie 4-speed for deep cutting (swinging a 60" diamond blade) that used the same hydro drive unit with no problems.

I would suggest keeping things moving in the designed direction even if it means changing the motor.

Wish I had the room to build something like that, maybe someday....

Rick

Well the transmission works great with a few caveats. Reversing or rotating the charge pump housing worked as I'd hoped, but as expected reverse is forward and vice versa. Goes a reasonable speed in reverse which is now forward and lightning fast in forward, which is now reverse. Can't imagine why they wanted a garden tractor going that fast but will be perfect for my application. Will stall the engine if its to reved up when you give her high gear.
So now its reverse the swash plate if thats possible OR after looking closer the input shaft goes right through the pump, so I might be able to mount the engine behind the axle and switch back to normal. The differential housing sits high but there might be enough room to get a driveshaft over it.
We're grinning.

I had one just like yours and it was a brute, I used it to tow cars and boats around my storage lot.
it's not a riding mower it a lawn tractor.
steve

Started disassembling the tractor and degreased the transaxle.

IMG_1490.jpg

That short shaft coming out of the back of the pump is the input shaft. The plan now is to mount the engine behind the transaxle (like a Porsche) and bring the driveshaft in there. All rotations will be correct then and with the engine at the back the weight will be over the drive axle and easier to service

Greg

IMG_1490.jpg

That sounds like the right plan. How's that gonna work for your cargo, and driver positions?

The engine position is set by that input shaft anyway, unless I got into a long driveshaft with u-joints. The engine as is looks tall but I plan the remove the fuel tank, relocate the air cleaner and go with a separate muffler. With the cylinder sitting on an angle the actual block is quite low, so will fit totally under the cargo deck. The seat will be on top of the deck.

Greg

Have the rear section of the frame made up. Have a surplus of 2 in thin wall square, so thats what we're using. Hopefully won't look too chunky.

IMG_1493.jpg

The engine will mount on the two sections pointing this way. The transaxle mounts to the front. Hopefully have the parts mounted tomorrow.

Greg

IMG_1493.jpg

Looking good! I wanna see the mock up of the rear and the engine on the frame :)

Are you gonna try to use the front end components from the tractor on the new chassis?

Back