Mule look alike

Looking good. I always wanted a mule, but never did anything about it. I use a 47 Willys CJ2A as a mule around my place. I see you're from Calabogie. We use to come up to that area, every year, to go fishing on Norcan Lake.

I restored a 46 Willys and drove it for years. Sold it when I moved up 63 model years to a 2009. They were an incredible vehicle, go anywhere, but the ride left a lot to be desired. The mule with no suspension will probably be a close second. The only time I've fished on Norcan lake was from a friends dock to catch Sunfish to put in the aquarium.

Greg

Had it out for a test drive today. Works great on the ploughed drive but not so great ploughing through snow. Pretty much as expected.
Added a sheet of pressure treated plywood that has been used as a paint table a few times Functional but not pretty, may have to mill some hardwood for a proper deck.

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

Installed an old muffler from a snow mobile, amazing how much quieter than the stock one it is. The deck helps muffle and deflect the noise down as well.
Now we need a seat.

Greg

IMG_1599.jpg IMG_1603.jpg

Made up a seat today, have a cheap Chinese hydraulic pipe bender, with enough patience it does a fair job, the main frame was done from one piece of 1/2 inch pipe with the two back legs added on.

IMG_1607.jpg

Seams quality control isn't too sure about driving it though.

Greg

IMG_1607.jpg

Saddie took off with the mule as soon as I let her behind the wheel, just got back today so I got a video.
The mule and my silver screen debut.
[video=youtube;Outd7HCUn60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Outd7HCUn60&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, indeed...great job, man! :thumbzup:....Sure beats using a wheelbarrow, huh?

Works great on the ploughed drive but not so great ploughing through snow. Pretty much as expected.
A set of 4-wheeler tracks would cure that right quick!...:idea2:...too bad they are so expensive.

that is just too kool
maybe you can puts some tire chains on it for deeper snow
how well does it stop?
stewve

JUST WAY TOO COOL!!!!!!

BTW, if others want to build one, Surplus Center has all kinds of new / old stock tractor drive systems and hydraulic steering components. A bunch of EMT, a pipe bender a motor from Harbor Freight and you'r in business!

Pretty awesome! How much money you figure, you got in it?

Back