Multifunction TIG/Stick/Plasma unit

The AHP has really been a game changer on imports. They are here in the states with supports and parts. I use mine alot (4 years) no issues. They have even updates with a nova pedal and roto flex head. There is a huge crowd that uses them and loves them (check our AHP on instagram) $700 versus 3k to get equivalent capabilities? No brainer for me. I could afford higher name brand, but I think I may even purchase their plasma as I am so impressed. Would I like a Fronius? yep, but $7k? no way. I would agree on the one unit that does it all, as I said before, it doesn't do any one thing well (from my knowledge)

I started this journey while looking at the Cut50. Did you get the 50A or one of the more expensive versions (50C,50D etc)?
Mine is a 50 (A-mp) I am unaware of a such thing as 50 (B/C/D) unless one manufacturer made that their model names (which would be a bit confusing....)

I've been looking at inexpensive plasma cutters and came across a class of machines that combine TIG and stick welding along with plasma cutting. Like the CTS-200 here.. For less than $500 it looks like it offers a lot in a relatively small package. From reviews of cheap TIG units I suspect it really isn't capable of outputting 200 amps (maybe the Chinese amp is different), but it still might be OK for many jobs. Does anyone here have any experience using one of these? Or comments on multi-function boxes in general?

I would not recommend getting that. As others have pointed out, parts availability will be non existent. It might have a standard type 17 or 20 tig torch but that would be it.
The AHP would be a good choice along with ESAB and Everlast. Lincoln and Miller of course but that red and blue paint is very expensive. I would also highly recommend AC for doing aluminum.
I have a Lincoln TIG 200 and even with its capabilities, I find myself wishing it had more AC TIG controls (more frequency range, ramp up and down, etc).
6 months from now you won't remember that extra $400 you spent....

I wouldn’t touch a generic all in one machine. Yet if space is a major concern, Tweco/Esab and Lincoln both make all in one machines but they do go for a premium. Miller probably does also. The big reason is one can repair one of the USA branded machines. The generic Asian stuff is totally disposable.. I’ve seen quite a number of YouTube videos where knowledgeable people disassembled these cheap imports and they explained some of the shortcuts taken by Chinese manufacturers. It was shocking to listen to these guys and incredible to see some of the shortcuts.
I do agree AHP seems to be a good machine. Everlast has spotty reviews in my opinion. Anyway, you really need to do your homework when buying import welders. I have a Esab/Tweco all in one Fabricator 141. It’s been a great welder and trouble free. I’ve used all 3 processes without any failures. That said, it’s underpowered. If I had to do it again, I probably would have made different decisions on purchasing a 3 process welder.

Last edited:
There, no doubt are countless number of those machines, but there are brands that set quality standards that have them made in China under their standards/specs. Percision Matthews (though not a welding machine manufacturer) is a good example of this)
I invite you to look at there web page...parts and service are readily available. I'm sure other exist, but word of mouth from personal experience is the best recommendation in my opinion.
AHP web site

Here is the American made Lincoln welder factory in China..sad what we come to. On a side note, this is another scary thing that the corona virus is bringing to light. Hence the largest single day drop in stock market history. The world turns because of China. Its not that quality CAN'T come from China, it does if that is part of the plan.
1582990550063.png

I totally agree that there are many high quality items coming from China. But the key in my opinion is to check the warranty terms very closely. Everlast is a prime example. Many people are fully satisfied with their welders. But, there are also others who bought one and complained about the warranty terms. Buyers were responsible for shipping cost back to California. That gets expensive in my opinion.
Klutch is much better because you can bring it back to a store. Heck, even Harbor Freight wins out on warranty terms. Miller Esab, Hobart and Lincoln beet them all. Fantastic service.
The main problem I have witnessed with Chinese products is that there is zero quality control. Not anything like the old USA products..... by a mile.

Yeah, I've said, "if it plugs into a wall, don't buy cheap Chinese". However, word of mouth from people that use a product is worth a lot. Use common sense, if money is no object, ESAB makes good stuff and slightly under top dollar. I would keep it to separate unit though.

Back