New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

I now have about 200 tons of gravel into this project for drainage and leveling the hillside, 130 tons delivered and rough leveled today. I'll probably need one more truckload, for which I'll see if I can get the driver (for an appropriate tip) to run the truck over the existing gravel several times to help compact it. Will need to reset my corner stakes and do a final leveling on it.

Last picture is taken from the dirt berm at the lower end, similar viewpoint to the original pasture picture.
IMG_3906.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3908.JPG

This project has been on hold, in part waiting for the price of lumber to come down. I also had some medical issues that ate up much of June. I have my 6 month post-cancer checkup coming up in a couple of weeks. This will be four years out from finishing radiation treatment. There is always a bit of dread associated with these checkups. Of course with each 6-month checkup the chance of recurrence goes down somewhat. I was enough of an odd case that it is really hard to pin odds on my case.

Anyway, I've decided that once I come back from the Sept 10 checkup, I'm going to start pricing construction. Likely I will go with stick-frame by a local Amish crew, fairly big outfit that does a lot of work in this area. I was originally thinking 40x64, but I've scaled it back to 40x56x12 to keep the cost down a bit, and to fit the site better. I already have a layout in mind:

shop layout.jpg

Basically I'll have a crew pour the slab, frame up and side the building. Then I'll do interior framing, additional insulation, wiring, etc, myself. Six windows, three each along the long walls, a 12' wide garage door and entry door on the North (right side of image), and a back entry door on the South side. I'll put in a mini-split/ductless unit, probably one that will handle two indoor units, a small one for the office and larger for the machining area, possibly a third for the welding area.

I plan on eventually putting a light duty bridge crane in, spanning the whole building. The space between the two interior rooms gives enough width (12') to move machines in/out.

Deposit in yesterday to the contractor. Expected start date is January.

Figured out the external power plan, which allows for eventually upgrading to a 400amp service, split into two 200amp disconnects, one for the new shop, one for every thing else. But for now sharing the current 200A service. I’m concerned that the 20HP RPC may be too much additional load. I do have the option of using a pony motor of starting it, that may do.

Between now and January I'll need to do several things. Get more gravel in to final level the site. Probably do that in the coming week, as more time to settle is good, especially with frost season coming. I need to dig the trench for the power lines. I also will run a trench to the house, and plan to run water, gas, and direct-bury fiber between the house and shop. The power line trench runs close enough to the existing workshop that I'll probably run a pex line between the two for compressed air as well.

The fiber will support internet connectivity. Wifi to metal buildings is problematic. As is getting any phone reception, but that's mostly spam. I also will use the fiber to support a security camera system. I have another 1500' fiber run over to the barns, not yet hooked up, but would like to get that all connected. Both runs are 6 strand single-mode. All of that requires time in the crawl space under the house. I'd be happy if there was enough room to actually "crawl". So much to do!

Here's the current shop plan. Some in-floor outlets so these will need to be placed before pouring the slab.
Overall building is 40x56x12'. I know many have suggested 16', but 12' is what it will be. Don't want to heat the extra space. Cozy not cavernous.

Green is some electrical plans. Yellow is potential light duty bridge cranes, still mulling that but seems very convenient. Blue is doors/windows. Black is interior divisions. Orange is potential machine placement. I'm keeping a 10' wide center isle running horizontally open for access.

Comments/suggestions/ideas appreciated. Building overall dimensions and exterior door & window placement are set, other features are more flexible.

Attachments

• plans.jpg
    plans.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 37
That’s some shop ! The garage at our new to us house has the 2 9x8’ garage doors facing almost dead south . It’s nice on warm days to be able to open the doors , glass in one section , south facings windows are nice , a plus if there’s enough overhang to keep the sun out during the summer . I’d be afraid of putting electric from the floors , I would want to keep my future options open and just have ceiling drops . Again thats me . Just thinking your have cranes so the electric would need to come another way ,

Last edited:
I love the bridge cranes. I don't love the in-floor electrical but, with the cranes, I understand the intention. My only suggestion regarding in-floor is to place additional conduits to additional box locations. Even though the additional MAY always remain unused, they are cheap enough to install and will serve to provide for rearrangement should it ever become desired. There is nothing as certain as change.

It's my preference to locate the compressor in an outbuilding. You've probably seen video of the catastrophic bursting of an air receiver. I know you only have sound equipment, well maintained, however $hit happens. Think of the potential pressure pulse effect on your building, not to mention other possible victims. A small, inexpensive plastic shed outside would attenuate sound, provide weather protection and a sacrificial enclosure in case of disaster. Maybe an outbuilding doesn't appeal aesthetically. Just food for thought.

I have read comments from owners of 10' wide doors wishing they had installed 12' wide. The point was to make backing a trailer that much easier. My smallest door is 14' wide so I'm just passing on the comments of others.

I'm guessing you plan to put all small (bench/pedestal) grinders, buffers, disk and belt sanders in the welding & fab area to keep the grit away from the machine tools.

Excellent Shop.

Back