multiple thread re-engagement dial

58-66cadilac

Registered
Registered
So in the quest to bring a lathe back from the dead I have discovered that I am missing several items. One thing in particular is the multiple thread re-engagment dial. I had a slot in the spindle and bar sticking out of my head stock that I could not figure out. Turns out it's a quite intricate mechanism, I can only look at in the parts break down of the Tool and Die lathe. Has anyone ever ran across this mechanism before? I understand the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze but obsession is a PITBs-l1600b_LI.jpg. LOL.jpg The grey Lathe is from Ebay the Green lathe is mine. The pin moves in and out of the head stock, this is the part that really confused me. I understand it to interlock with the dial to allow multiple threads in one operation based on the number the dial is turned to. I did read a 1947 article on this type operation using the thread dial divisions as well.

Attachments

• multi thread re-engagement dial.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The same thing can be done with most lathes by shifting the feed gears out of engagement and re engageing at the appropriate partial rotation, many can be done simply using the thread dial.

Thanks, I am curious about the actual mechanism from leblond. I am restoring this lathe. This part is missing, I would like to see pictures of one and if anyone had experience with this mechanism before.

I know next to nothing about Leblond lathes, but short of mounting two or more cutters on the tool post and getting the exactly the right distance apart and making exactly the same DOC (Depth Of Cut) or finding a special purpose cutter made for 2-thread or 4-thread, multi-start threads have to be cut one thread at a time. And you would need the threading dial either way that you did it.

Back