music

In a different style a guitarist I rather like is Ewan Dobson.
And of course Estas Tonne

In a different style a guitarist I rather like is Ewan Dobson.
And of course Estas Tonne
Had not heard of either, thanks for the tip. I particularly like Dobson, but I'm not as impressed when he does the echo and digital multi tracks. Kinda why I fell outta love with electric guitar, yeah there are greats like Van Halen, Vai, Buckethead and the rest. But they were a decade or more after Holdsworth so it feels derivative to me. It's getting harder and harder to blaze something new that doesn't sound like noise. Most of Be Bop jazz was noise to me, too rich, or advanced but decades later I still don't get it.

Since Django Reinhardt was mentioned, here's Tony Iommi, another guitarist with a left hand injury- he lost his ring finger up to the first knuckle on the job before Sabbath happened. Thus, the power chord was born. I still can't get enough of this album, even though it came out before I was born.

Yup, Jerry Garcia was missing his bird finger on his right hand, and Dr. John was missing his ring finger on his left!

My mum was a huge fan of Django Reinhardt and Stephane but at my then young age I wasnt but later on I could recognise the talent and enjoy them.
Last night as I was removing some albums to get to the power outlets at the back of the shelving this one fell out.
The only Harvey Mandel I own and cant remember any of it and never found anyone else who has heard of him.
As the only thing I can play is the fool I am only a consumer of music and at the risk of alienating you all after my initial really cool choices I will admit to enjoying what appears to be termed ambient psy/chill but it needs some really carefull searching.
Carbon Based Lifeforms are good but I'm too lazy to go down to the shed to find the others.
Probably the only form of music I dislike immensely is the one where the "C" is missing from the spelling but even though I dislike it I can admit a lot of it is clever. Just not for me.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Cream has been taken down

I totally know the name Harvey Mandell but had to look up the Wiki because it had been decades since I heard that name. Anybody who ever heard Canned Heat at least had heard of him. I followed him from Canned Heat to John Mayall and then I'd gone on to jazz and quit paying attention. When I was in high school all the Bay Area bands like Cannd Heat, Santana, etc would play locally. At that time jazz was an extremely lonely pursuit and one of my hero's was Joe Pass the king of the chord style.

When my buddy turned me on to bluegrass and mandolin David Grisman became my muse.

A decade later a friend of Grisman comes back with these RCA master tapes from the 50's of this Brazilian mandolin master that was a national hero they called Jacob do Bandolim. He is to mandolin what Django was to guitar. I think he died in the 60's. So Grisman puts out a digitally remastered double cd and of course I buy it. I'm listening to it on my car player and I swear I've heard it before, but how? One song in particular I totally remember and it dawns on me. When I was really young like 4-5yrsld I'd spend weeks with my Portuguese grandparents in Pacific Grove, a community of mostly ex pat's of the Azores in Monterey Bay CA . They even had an all Portuguese radio station. Once a week my grandmother would bake bread for who knows all and had one of those huge floor standing radio's that aimed into the kitchen and blasted that station into the kitchen while she baked all day. That's where I heard Jacob do Bandolim!

I also love "space music" when in the mood. I don't think I've ever bought any but we have a great radio network of stations called Pacifica with a couple of stations out of the Bay Area and one in Fresno and on really early Sunday mornings like 1am they have a show of all that called Discreet Music. Good stuff. I also shun the stuff you alluded to as I need melody for something to be called music even though space music often is atonal. Go figgur.

Back