Must Have Measuring Tools

Either I am sorely under-equipped, or I have been creative with what I have. However, with small machines I can get by with less, and my hobby machining rarely requires better than +/-.002" tolerances. Here's what I have and use:
Starret 0-4 mics
12" Digital height stand
Dial indicator (with an "in-house" machined mount so it can be used with the height stand)
Coaxial dial indicator
2 Noga Mag bases for the indicators
Feeler gages
12 x 18 granite surface plate
Mitutoyo digital 8" caliper
6" and 24" steel scales
A set of 1-2-3 blocks
Starret telescoping bore gage set

It would be nice to have a set of good gage blocks and pins, but the above list has met my needs so far.

Tom

The most used layout tool I have is a pair of small Starrett double squares, one has a 4" blade and one a 6" blade. They are good for dozens of uses. Laying out cuts and placing holes. Center finding and marking, Transferring dimensions, inside square marking on the inside of angle stock, and indexing parts in an mill vise is just a few examples.

starrett double square.jpg

I am not sure Starrett still makes the thin body 6" hook rule. I looked for one but have not found one. Its only about 1/4" wide, great tool. I want a second one as mine has seen a hard life.

Starrett H604R-6, a 6" spring tempered scale was listed in their 2012 catalog. I have one like it a very useful scale.

Nobody just up and buys them all at once. It takes a lifetime to get even close to everything you will want. Take your time and get the basics, then as you see the need, add to the tool chest.

I did just that! Now I have 3,100 sq/ft of crap to the 10’ ceiling! Take some advice from me guys. You can have every tool in the world, but just one life time to use them. And I say it’s not possible to do it. You will find your favorite tools will be a small pile in the shop. When you need that special tool, you will spend hours/days trying to find it in all that crap. I have one lifetime with ten lifetimes of projects. It ain’t gonna happen. Instead of me buying more crap, maybe I’ll just have a garage sale, Dave

I picked up most of my rules and builder squares in pawn shops, back when things in pawn shops sold for used prices.

I love tools, but I've not allowed myself to buy one just because I thought I might need it someday. There are very few tools (and I have thousands of them) in my shop that haven't earned their keep.

? 6" digital caliper, possibly a 12" as well
? Dial test indicator
? 0-1" micrometer (0.0001" or better)
? 0-6" or 0-12" micrometer set
? micrometer head
? depth gage
? gage blocks (aka Joe Blocks)
? Dial indicator
? Dial test indicator holder for mill spinlde, possibly indicol style
? Magnetic base dial indicator holder
? Comparator stand for dial indicator, you can get ones with an 8x10 granite surface plate
? Thread measuring wires
? telescoping bore gages
? screw pitch gages
? angle blocks
? radius gage set
? angle gage set
? center line gage accessory for caliper
? micrometer anvil set
? surface finish comparator
? Magnifying loupe with reticles
? 230X USB microscope
? large surface plate, height gage, precision squares, etc. is nice to have but large, heavy, and expensive.
? scale with right angle, center finder, and protractor
? Universal bevel protractor
? Sine bar
? master precision level
? pin gage sets, particularly the <0.250" size
? plain inside/outside calipers and dividers
? kill-a-watt meter so you can see how many HP you are running

Please feel free to add to this list!

Best,

Nelson
Remember stiff joint calipers ? I have a friend ,decades of pouring and
machining motor bearings, etc. Used plain calipers to repeat tenths ,
Because it was simpler and faster. It's all in the Touch !........BLJHB.

I did just that! Now I have 3,100 sq/ft of crap to the 10’ ceiling! Instead of me buying more crap, maybe I’ll just have a garage sale, Dave
You have a sale date yet? I need more crap. :)

Back