Must Have Measuring Tools

Being new to this "Hobby", I thought that the title of this thread could give me some perspective on where do I go from here. I have very few "precision" instruments. Instead of guiding me, I now feel totally intimidated. I know that was not the purpose, but c'mon guys. Give me, a real novice, some guidance about what basic measuring I need to get started. I realize that most of you have acquired all these instruments over many years but you had to start somewhere.

What basic measuring devices should I attempt to purchase to get me started?

Jack

Being new to this "Hobby", I thought that the title of this thread could give me some perspective on where do I go from here. I have very few "precision" instruments. Instead of guiding me, I now feel totally intimidated. I know that was not the purpose, but c'mon guys. Give me, a real novice, some guidance about what basic measuring I need to get started. I realize that most of you have acquired all these instruments over many years but you had to start somewhere.

Jack
Get a 6" and a 12" steel scale, a 6" digital caliper, a DTI with a simple magnetic mount,, a 4" or 6" machinist's square, and some feeler gauges.

Grab a digital 1" mic also.

I was talking to a good friend this morning. He asked how my lathe was coming along. We talked for a while. Aboout 20 minutes ago he stopped by and dropped off a Chicago brand 3 micrometer set and about 20 Hardinge 3c collets. They were mixed in with a lot of tools he got last year when his grandfather passed away. So, at least I can measure accurately to 3 inches now. It's a start.

It's not a tool but I find Dykem to be almost indispensable for marking my work. A 4 oz. bottle has lasted me for years. $5.97 if you have Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Dykem-80300-Steel-Layout-Brush-/dp/B0018ACR6G

I started with a 1" micrometer, 6" calipers, pocket rule, inside and outside spring calipers, a protractor, a center punch, and a combination square with 6" and 12" rules.

I cut a 59° drill grinding gage out of sheet metal. I also made a lathe tool bit grinding gage. You can find the pattern for one here:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/i-need-some-cutting-tools.49571/#post-417567

I made a scribe by grinding an old round file.

I got my hands on a 6" round of steel about 1 1/4" thick. I faced it off and then rotated it on sandpaper to get a reasonably flat surface to work on. I still use this a lot even though I have a surface plate now. It's very handy because it sits within arms reach on the bench.

The next things that I bought were a 2" micrometer and a dial indicator with a magnetic holder.

Here's a printable pdf of a Decimal Tap & Drill chart. Very handy for converting measurements as well.

http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/I_DrillSizeDecimalEquivalent&TapDrillChart.pdf

You should be able to do a lot with just these items.

Last edited:
I haven't yet found a need for a micrometer of over 2", my dial caliper seems to be accurate enough for me for the larger sizes. In that vein, I don't want digital instruments that use batteries, as they seem to go dead and leak before I need that particular tool, but the mechanical digital or dial ones just keep working. I do use a 12' tape a fair amount, especially useful when measuring spaces for rearrangement. Like drill bits, you can never have enough measuring devices that there isn't something out there that would work better for a particular situation. Sometimes work-arounds are half the fun.

Does anyone use dividers and calipers anymore? I have a collection of around 12 in various sizes and type, mostly Starrett vintage.
Some tools that see a lot of use: 8" Mit digital calipers, Etalon dial calipers, 1-2-3 blocks, mics, surface plate, squares, protractors, and rules of all sizes.
Those Starrett hook rules are great. Just bought the thin one for $10 in mint shape. My Mitutoyo Japan made mic stand is also indispensable.
Starrett thread gages are also good to have. I couldn't figure out a fastener the other day, turns out it was a rare M3.5

The calipers are very useful for me. Say something needs to be 13" +.000 -.006 2 calipers can be pretty quick and inexpensive (at machine) GnG. Not every shoulder on shafting needs to be press fit for bearings. When you have tolerances for bushings you don't really need the big Mics, or balancing the 36" verniers on your shoulder. I even use it a lot on production runs of small pieces. That No Go drags and the Go don't... It'll pass QA.

Steve

Back